Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2020, 09:39 AM   #1

Anyone used flexible solar on the curved roof front?

I'm hoping to install another two 100w flexible solar panels on the roof's curved front of my 2011 SMB Sprinter RB110S. Other than the very narrow area next to the AC unit, there's no free space up there.

The flexible panels would be mounted on some flexible plastic base material, not directly to the roof, and will help charge my new LiFeP04 house battery along with a new solar controller.

Here's the current free space on the SMB, and another photo with two panels photoshopped in to where I think they'll fit -- although I suspect they'll mount a bit further up from the top of the windshield.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:23 AM   #2

I am on a transit. Have a flexible panel held on with VHB tape and clue. Hasn't come off in 40k miles.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #3

Garage
I'm curious Thorne, Do you normally park the Van in full sun? Or, when you arrive at your destination do you make a conscious attempt to seek out a spot under the trees & out of sunshine?
Most people seek cover, so additional solar panels on the roof provide little benefit. Your batteries are replenished through the Alternator while you do any Traveling to reach your destination, so your solar really only comes into play at times you are not on the move. Have you considered adding to you solar configuration using suitcase panels (attached with a lengthy cord)? leaving you the option of positioning them in the sun while the Van is in the shade.
Several threads available utilizing suitcase panels...may find this a better alternative.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #4

I’d worry about impact damage there. Based on reviews I’ve seen from installs on rvs, the flex panels are easier to damage. I have rock chips above my windshield and have hit a couple birds up there too. But maybe the newest ones are more durable?
Old 11-08-2020, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I’d worry about impact damage there. Based on reviews I’ve seen from installs on rvs, the flex panels are easier to damage. I have rock chips above my windshield and have hit a couple birds up there too. But maybe the newest ones are more durable?
I agree.

If there's room on the front, why won't they fit on either side of your roof vent in front of your existing panels?
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #6

Thorne,
This is something I wish to do with mine as well! Can you give me any info on the physical size of your panels, where you got them or a brand? I’d also be very interested in how you attached these? I’d really like to avoid a rack! Having seen my dad’s boat flying
across the desert....would really like to not deal with that kind of result! Nor a large number of holes in my roof!
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:58 PM   #7

I second a number of the comments above - flexible panels are getting better, but they are a lot more fragile than rigid panels. Where I work, we have had a failure rate of ~20% of the flexible panels that have been installed within 3 years. Some trailers that have been on the road for 3 years have come back with 5 of 6 flex panels completely dead. The problem is that the individual cells are a lot more susceptible to cracks over time (not necessarily caused by impact).

Zamp sells a really nice 230 watt suitcase panel that has a built-in charge controller (so you don't have to replace your van's charge controller to be able to handle the additional amperage) and a nice long lead. IMO, this is ideal. As others said, your alternator will charge your house batteries as you drive. When you get to camp... you often want to park in the shade and/or park somewhere where your van will become shaded as the sun moves across the sky. The portable panels are awesome for giving you the ability to maximize your solar input in this manner. Just my 2 cents.
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #8

he panels in the photo I posted were just photoshopped in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieKat View Post
Thorne,
This is something I wish to do with mine as well! Can you give me any info on the physical size of your panels, where you got them or a brand? I’d also be very interested in how you attached these? I’d really like to avoid a rack! Having seen my dad’s boat flying
across the desert....would really like to not deal with that kind of result! Nor a large number of holes in my roof!
ConnieKat
Connie - the panels in the photo I posted were just photoshopped in. I'm considering getting these 10" wide 50w panels, as most of the others are 20" wide (or so) and that's too wide to fit next to the vent without overhanging on the sides. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DC3GMH2R&psc=1
Old 11-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #9

Lots of smashed bugs will be on those panels. Will severely impact performance. I strongly suspect you will not be happy with this installation. No offense, but if it was a good viable option it would be very popular already as that is a great angle for sun. I suspect the ROI would not be worth the effort.
Kevin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:08 AM   #10

Thanks again for all the advice. I suspect that Kevin's point that we'd see a lot more panels there if there weren't problems is correct -- the combination of the steep curve and general fragility of the flexible panels is not a good mix, particularly when combined with road debris and other impacts. Oh well, I'll just have to see about adding another two panels somewhere else.