Just an update... we got our SMB from a private party and thought we would post how we did it.
1. Found our SMB from a private party. Made arrangements to see it in person and take LOTS of pictures. The more pictures the better; details were very important in the process of appraising. We were fortunate to live within 4 hours of the SMB, otherwise, get pictures emailed.
2. Went to the Credit Union (SESLOC for us) to find out what we needed. Obviously, the appraisal was the first thing mentioned. We never could find the KBB, NADA, etc appraisal online. Lots of hours spent looking, just a complete waste of time. Wells FArgo said no on the RV financing and would treat it as an auto. Our regular bank, Rabobank, said yes for RV financing, but only 84 mo at 9%.
3. Searched for an appraisal company online. Funny how only two showed up when googled, and it was priced over $400. This particular company will find a local appraiser. Basically, you pay the local appraiser and then this online company a 'finders fee' and they put the packet together. After further research, I was able to find a local appraiser. They were 1/2 the price. Everything was done by mail (or email). This is where the pictures were handy, they expedited everything. The appraiser didn't have to go to the van.
4. While waiting for the appraisal to be completed, which took 14 days from the initial phone call, them sending me the packet, mailing it back to them, and then waiting for the results; we went back to the bank to start the paperwork. It ended up that we could get a signature loan with no collateral for the amount. SIGN US UP!! We had our loan that night and the van by 10:30 am the next morning. Once the appraisal came back, we refinanced the signature loan as an RV loan. Easy as pie.
5. Suggestions: Pictures... Know everything about the SMB, little details increased the value which made it 100% financing. The appraisal was necessary for insurance value. Also, take the pictures into your auto insurance co to show it is a class B. I guess it is suppose to cost less to insure as a RV?? The appraisal company we used is:
Automotive Appraisal Services Group 1-800-495-2525 website: www.automotiveappraisals.com
Sorry this is long, but what we thougt was going to be a nightmare, ended up being super easy. WOOTS Wife