Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #1

Are there a lot of SMB's in the Houston area?

If the vans got flooded, will there be any opportunities to salvage parts (bumpers, racks, pop-tops, wheels, tires, etc.)?

It is a horrible situation but I would be even worse if a few dozen vehicles ended up rotting in the Texas sun for years when there were good parts to recycle.

http://jalopnik.com/heres-what-happe...hur-1800783080

LandVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:55 AM   #2

That's an interesting article. It definitely gets my attention since I'm looking for a gently used Subaru for my wife. I'll make sure it doesn't have any history in near the coast!
I don't think Houston is much of a hotbed for SMB's but one or two might turn up if you knew how to find them. I would think most owners would choose that as their apocalypse escape vehicle and load up and leave town in it.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #3

Garage
I've been wondering the same thing about Florida, with Irma approaching. (Ok, I haven't been wondering about salvage opportunities --- but I have been wondering how many people would indeed choose their SMB to leave town with.)

Sportsmobiles are the ideal "bug out of town" vehicle on almost every count --- except gas mileage. We keep seeing the news reports about Florida gas stations going dry....it could prove to be a serious challenge to keep a 10-12 mpg SMB fueled up as you tried to flee the peninsula in those monster traffic jams on I-95 and I-75.

(*And Florida is almost 450 miles long, North-South....I know my 5.8L Sporty wouldn't even come close to making that on one 35-gallon tank, definitely not if it involved a lot of creeping along in bumper-to-bumper traffic.....a Prius would be the ideal "bug out of town" vehicle under those conditions.)

On that note --- hope everyone finds safe harbor from whatever Irma may/may not bring.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
I've been wondering the same thing about Florida, with Irma approaching. (Ok, I haven't been wondering about salvage opportunities --- but I have been wondering how many people would indeed choose their SMB to leave town with.)

Sportsmobiles are the ideal "bug out of town" vehicle on almost every count --- except gas mileage. We keep seeing the news reports about Florida gas stations going dry....it could prove to be a serious challenge to keep a 10-12 mpg SMB fueled up as you tried to flee the peninsula in those monster traffic jams on I-95 and I-75.

(*And Florida is almost 450 miles long, North-South....I know my 5.8L Sporty wouldn't even come close to making that on one 35-gallon tank, definitely not if it involved a lot of creeping along in bumper-to-bumper traffic.....a Prius would be the ideal "bug out of town" vehicle under those conditions.)

On that note --- hope everyone finds safe harbor from whatever Irma may/may not bring.
one reason my new build is getting a 55 gallon rear tank. I may keep the cut down stock one also to carry about 80 gallons of diesel in total. that's enough to cover around 1k miles.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote