Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Article about end of Econoline era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
Be sweet, I drive a Prius.
I'm always sweet. Plus, we've had a Prius from each generation--brilliant cars. The 2010, in "power" mode will chirp the tires BTW.

I would guess, judging by the general snottiness of the article, that comrade Kitman is into vintage Porsches. Have you ever been around those guys? It's like hanging out with people who swirl, smell then slurp their wine while watching dancing horses.

Requiescat in pace dear E-series.

Z

http://www.tomsinclair.net

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #12

Re: Article about end of Econoline era.

The E-Series may have soldiered on for 20+ years, but I'll bet a lot of them will still be in use in 20+ years from now when the 'unibody' replacements have been replaced twice.

Body on frame may be archaic, but it is durable and rebuildable. And it can be easily modified for 4wd unlike the next generation of vans.

Looks like I'll be keeping mine, unless I decide to go 2wd.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #13

Dylan uses an old Econoline in his latest video:

Just wouldn't have the same effect if it was a Sprinter or Transit van...

Z

Old 09-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #14

This line pretty much tells me the author has no idea what he's talking about:

Quote:
Compared to the Ford, the Sprinter was quicker, had a bigger payload, could tow as much
The 5-cyl Sprinter he talks up so much was a complete pig. (Sprinter 0-60 in 13+ seconds in a Car & Driver test. My 8,000 pound V10 will do it in just under 7). Plus, last I checked 10,000 pounds is more than 5,000 pounds.

The newer 6-cyl Sprinter is slightly better as far as power goes (12 sec to 60), but it doesn't get anywhere near the 27 MPG the 5-cyl Sprinter could get.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #15

I just assumed he was comparing to an E150 w/4.6L. Nothing else makes sense of his comments.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #16

The tip-off in that article is this line from the bottom of the first page:

"What stands out in this look back is a remarkable reluctance to move beyond a formula that works."

Apparently the writer is unfamiliar with the concept of "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

His own hackneyed work is a testament to his having left the proven trail of journalistic excellence in a bid for fearless exploration of the bold frontiers of imbecilic propaganda.

Nothing like shoving your party-line down everybody's throat, like cornmeal down a goose's gullet. If only this guy's fois-gras reporting was as banned as the real thing in California.

2005 Ford E350 6.8L V-10 RB-50

redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
Be sweet, I drive a Prius.
I'm always sweet. Plus, we've had a Prius from each generation--brilliant cars. The 2010, in "power" mode will chirp the tires BTW.

I would guess, judging by the general snottiness of the article, that comrade Kitman is into vintage Porsches. Have you ever been around those guys? It's like hanging out with people who swirl, smell then slurp their wine while watching dancing horses.

Requiescat in pace dear E-series.

Z

Hey there I resemble that remark.
To say I love vintage Porsches (and some newer ones) would be like saying I love this forum.
I think about them and look at them every chance I get and am even activly looking for a 356B T5 sunroof coupe to restore.
We love going to vintage auto events, car shows, and races.
We have been to the last three Porsche Rensport Reunions, two at Laguna Seca and one at Daytona
I have been a Porsche master tech and a member of the Porsche Club of America (the biggest auto club in the world btw) almost as long as I can remember.
I have been to the Porsche Museum and three of the factories.
Hell I even used to work for Porsche Cars North Americas corporate headquarters in Atlanta as a trainer for almost ten years before I moved out here in 2008.
So I have been drinking the Porsche coolaid since the 70s.
The Crest the Crest and nothing but the Crest as we used to say at work.
A lot of the Porsche guys (not the newer cars so much as they are just owners not enthusiasts) are really great and some of the nicest peole you couldever meet.

Suzann likes wine but I hate it where does that put me in your statement?
I still love my Econoline and vans in general, is it ok to love vans (even vintage ones) and Sportsmobiles if I love Porsches?

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #18

Article about end of Econoline era.

I like them too, that's why I know about their owners. I was a factory trained (Andy Cherry in Reno) Porsche technician, owned a hopped up '74 911 and my dad had a '58 356A coupe. That said, I always got ticked at the snotty, elitist, pure blood Porsche guys at PCA events telling everyone else how to worship Porsches. Mr Kitman's tone reminded me of them.

Stop by sometime, I'll get out my buddy's '65 356SC coupe I store.

Z

Old 09-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #19

I had a ford falcon van version of the econoline. It was just barely faster than a microbus. The nice part was being able to work on the motor inside the van when the weather was crappy. We used to set the distributor while driving to get it just right. It still sits in my friends yard in barstow.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #20

Z,

I love Mr.Cherry he is an interesting guy I miss my interactions with him, although he can be kind of intense sometimes. He and the other trainer Gary Butcher had to move from Reno to Ontario, CA in 2004 or 5 to the new training center/west coast parts depot, neither one was very happy about that.

I have never had much problems with the PCA guys in Syracuse, NY area where I grew up although the ones in Atlanta were kind of, well lets just say not so great. Mr Kitman could fit in with some of them. The least he could do is use a show like Ironsides the old Raymond Burr show where they had an Econoline van in it instead of Dragnet or what ever he used. Vans are just misunderstood. You can buy a nice modern truck but with a van its always been the bare basics. The people who lkke them for things other than work just dont matter to the companies I guess. In many ways the auto companies have lost the enthusiast that used to follow them. Maybe Ford cares about the Mustang and Chevy the Corvette butthey dont care about much else, even porsche has lost some of that in the past 15 years.

I hope someday to meet you and check out the 356SC, I love those too, no surprise, right?
And also your van and photography as I really like your work.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote