Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #1

Attempted break in

I didn't want to hijack the thread about the theft of Yella Fella, but I noticed yesterday when I was waxing my van (not going to do that very often), that someone tried to pop the lock core out of my drivers door with a screwdriver. They obviously jammed a flat screwdriver in and tried to pry it out. Key no longer works.

I have no idea when this could have happened (I always lock and unlock with the remote), but was informed last night that we have had a series of break ins in my neighborhood that I was unaware of.

Not sure what I'm going to do, but I'm going to look into some sort of security.

Some people just suck.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Attempted break in

Yep that does suck...they just knocked out my window. I put up a fence...the place look like a fort now. Might not look great but I sleep better.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #3

That certainly sucks Phil.

I have to relate a short story of a similar incident ten years ago or so.

Mrs. Ed in Montana and I were returning from a big Canadian camping trip late on a Saturday night in midsummer. We had left the town of Jasper in Jasper National Park at dawn, hoping to find another campsite or motel further south, but had struck out. I ended up driving most of the way home, some 800 miles that day in our old Dodge Dakota pickup only to get caught in a traffic jam at midnight ten blocks from our house as the concert crowd from the big county fair let out, with thousands of vehicles crawling out of the fairgrounds.

Finally home, I was too exhausted to sleep well in the heat remaining at night from a ninety degree day, and heard a skateboarder go by down the street , followed by strange noises. Several hours later at dawn, I got up and went outside to pick up the paper in the driveway, and found what looked like my boombox sitting on top of the Dodge Dakota. I went back inside, and there was my real boombox siting in the laundry room. Going back outside, I found that the driver's side lock had been partially jimmied on the Dakota, and the idiot thief had left his boombox on top of the truck cab.

The local police couldn't understand why I was trying to turn in a boombox from an attempted car theft. Hell, I had only been home a couple of hours from two weeks in the Canadian wilderness before some creep on a skateboard had tried to hijack my truck full of camping gear.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi
Not sure what I'm going to do, but I'm going to look into some sort of security.

Some people just suck.

Phil
We had the Ravelco system installed in our SMB + the alarm. The Ravelco is a little pricey but it was well worth it!

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #5

Too much info can be dangerous - I locked myself out on my 2004 SMB and I popped the lock clyinder in about 30 seconds and had immedaite acess to the locking mechanism (my alram did not sound and I ws in the truck in less than a minute).

The locks are too keep honest people out.....
Tonka2004 is offline   Reply With Quote