Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2021, 12:14 AM   #1

Auto carrier transport Colorado to California

Hey gang,

Used the search button and found a few suggestions for auto transport (road runner - broker, Logistics by Bontreger - carrier, Kansas Transit express - carrier) as well as a few to avoid (uship, mcnutt).

Maybe we can sticky a thread of suggested auto carriers/brokers seeing that transporting these 9k# 9’ tall vans (referring to the 4x4 Econoline smb) is a bit of niche.

At any rate has anyone recently had success with an auto carrier they love?

Finally, are there any auto carrier terminals in Denver?

Looking to fly in, pick up my smb from the seller, drop it off at the terminal and then fly back home.

Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Here's an old thread by Jage, which why it's not encouraging, it does show you need to do your due diligence.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...nver-5074.html

Herb
Old 04-11-2021, 09:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Here's an old thread by Jage, which why it's not encouraging, it does show you need to do your due diligence.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...nver-5074.html

Herb
Hi Herb,

Yeah, I read that before posting and came to the conclusion Mcnutt got its name for a reason.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:12 AM   #4

Garage
There are a number of qualified & responsible Members here that have driven an owners Van to a specific destination, if that raises some interest for you then suggest you start a Thread soliciting such assistance.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:23 AM   #5

I've had really good service using this company...
Angels Moving Autos
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:38 PM   #6

Having been through this last year I can attest that it can be a nightmare. As mentioned, most carriers use brokers. They then post your request on a message board and locate truckers for you. Many will accept the job in hopes that they will have additional work along the same route but if additional transports don't turn up, they disappear. They promise to pick up you van on a certain date, but more than once, on the agreed upon date they don't show, have a ton of excuses and then vanish. This happened to me three times in a row. The fourth attempt was to have a private party tow it on a rented trailer, and that was a worse nightmare when it came off the trailer causing a bunch of damage, not to mention what I consider excessive personal expenses I had to pay the guy. I finally found a guy who successfully delivered the van to me, but in my desperation I ended up paying a huge premium, probably double the going rate. So, do your due diligence and make sure there is full insurance coverage for who ever you end up with (even more important if you have someone drive it). In addition, make sure its clear who will pay your deductible in the event of a loss, and get it in writing. I'd also install a tracking device so you can keep track of it along the way. Best of luck.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Having been through this last year I can attest that it can be a nightmare. As mentioned, most carriers use brokers. They then post your request on a message board and locate truckers for you. Many will accept the job in hopes that they will have additional work along the same route but if additional transports don't turn up, they disappear. They promise to pick up you van on a certain date, but more than once, on the agreed upon date they don't show, have a ton of excuses and then vanish. This happened to me three times in a row. The fourth attempt was to have a private party tow it on a rented trailer, and that was a worse nightmare when it came off the trailer causing a bunch of damage, not to mention what I consider excessive personal expenses I had to pay the guy. I finally found a guy who successfully delivered the van to me, but in my desperation I ended up paying a huge premium, probably double the going rate. So, do your due diligence and make sure there is full insurance coverage for who ever you end up with (even more important if you have someone drive it). In addition, make sure its clear who will pay your deductible in the event of a loss, and get it in writing. I'd also install a tracking device so you can keep track of it along the way. Best of luck.
Thanks for sharing.

What a nightmare.

Sounds like I gotta deal direct with an owner operator. I miss using Dependable Auto Shippers. They had terminals all over the country where you could drop off your car in their secure yard and then be on your merry way. No broker BS.

They offered door-to-door, terminal to door, and door to terminal. Super convenient.

I think they went BK 5 years ago. Was hoping another carrier like them exist today.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #8

Update after getting a request for quote from Colorado Springs, CO to So Cal.

Carriers:
Kansas Transit Express - no interest
Logistics Bontreger - no interest

Brokers:
Ready Auto Transport - $1700-1850
Nations Auto Transport - $1500
Angeles - $1600
Uship random bidders - avg $1300

Would love to hear your feedback on the rates or any other suggestions. May consider driving it back the 1050 miles myself. Figure it will be about $300 in diesel.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:43 PM   #9

A recent (Dec 2020) quote I got for a Transit, shipped from Kanas City, MO to Newberg, OR was $2200.

In March of '19 I shipped a commercial rig from Riverside, CA to Portland, OR for $1450.

The quotes you have seem to be about what I'd expect for that distance and the vehicle.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:04 PM   #10

I can do the fly and drive it back for you.
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote