Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #1

Avital Remote Start - Starting On Its Own

I have the Avital keyless entry and remote start in my SMB. I think this may be related to my problem. My SMB has been trying to start without anybody pressing the remote starter button. It fired up on its own recently in the garage. All the lights and dashboard lights start blinking as well making me think I have short of sorts related to the Avital. Any suggestions welcome! Thank you!

Old 11-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Avital Remote Start - Starting On Its Own

Interesting. Does it actually start?

I'd pull the key fob(s) apart replace all the batteries on them and make sure the start button is not compromised. Dirt and debris can make the button touchy. I would think that is a strong possibility but would think the engine would start and run for 10 or 15 minutes.

You might also check the engine battery voltage. Many SMB's especially the older models using the surepower separator are configured to use the house battery to assist start the vehicle. If the starting battery system is low, I've found the engine sometimes tries to start itself because the alarm is corrupted due to low voltage but once the command is given to start, the separator supplies enough voltage to start. Whether the engine starts would vary. If there is no supplementary starting system or SMB designed so you manually have to jump start the vehicle I'd be looking at somebody checking the alarms electronic computer and connections.

Lastly most alarms I've been told are supposed to scramble the code each time they're used. I'm not too sure about that. Maybe a neighbor's alarm is throwing a similar start command? I would think if that was the case the van would start.

Last time I had that happen on my work truck it was something resting just right on the extra fob I don't regularly use Took me a while to find the fob

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #3

My neighbor had the same problem with his jeep, starting in his garage. As it turned out we both had the same aftermarket system, Bulldog. When I would unlock my van it would start his jeep.
A change of the security codes on his remote starter cured this.
Maybe this is happening to you.

Tom
05 Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #4

I'm not an avid watcher of horror films. However every time I see something like this, all I can think is...get out of the house now!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #5

Are you sure it's not programmed to run every X hours?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #6

My van has an Avital as well. It also has a programmable start set to start when a certain temperature is reached. It is designed for people who leave pets in their van, so that if it gets too hot, the van will start and turn on the A/C. It can also be set to automatically start at pre-programmed times. Mine has a programmable unit on the left side of the dash. To the unaware eye, it looks like a clock with a thermometer. If yours has this somewhere on the dash, look up the model online for instructions on how to delete any preprogrammed start times or temperatures. My van is in for service tonight so I cannot take a picture of the unit for you. I am happy to do that for you later if you need any further help. Good luck. Fernando
2010 BMW GSA 30th
medicfernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #7

Thanks for all the feedback. I have it at the shop now and it started on them last night as they were shutting down for the night. It's doing it at totally random intervals starting a couple months ago. The dash and lights blinking on their own and it thereafter not starting seems to be a different issue and happened a couple times over the last two years. I'll reply to the string if we find something at the shop!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #8

Update: the shop notice that it tries to start every day at 5 PM. I have an appointment with a remote start installer today to see what we can do to turn that off. I read there's a switch under the steering column that could potentially turn this off. Has anyone ever heard of a way to turn off or change the timer?
Old 04-05-2021, 10:53 PM   #9

Avital remote randomly starts

A few months ago my pickup with Avital remote start began randomly starting. I changed the battery and it seemed to resolve the problem. Last night in the middle if the night it started doing it again. I changed the battery, but it did not fix it this time. I dont think it has a preset time as I have had it for several years and it didn't do it until recently. Any ideas?
Theladyj49 is offline   Reply With Quote