Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2019, 05:03 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Awning Or Tent Repair?

Not sure this belongs here---if it needs moved or posted elsewhere please let me know. So....

I have one of those Grande El Cheapo pop-up canopies, collapsible w/extendable legs---I'm sure you've seen and maybe own one now---got a whole $90 OTD for this beauty.

Along the way I've ripped the nylon-ish fabric and would like to repair this one rather than toss it in the recycling bins. (FWIW the original manufacturing is sending me a complete new canopy--once that arrives this might be useful to someone else as I simply don't need two of them.

Anyway anyone here know of an adhesive I could use to patch the existing cover? I'd have some material I think would work but gluing in place would be far easier than having it professionally sewn.

Any help greatly appreciated---TIA!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:15 AM   #2

I have used this and it has worked well for us. There also glue type repair kits but I like this one better. It is available in different colors, etc.

https://www.gearaid.com/products/ten...nt=28044148689

Click image for larger version

Name:	3B130B8B-292D-4516-B0BC-3F984A9834BF.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	28199
Old 06-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
I have used this and it has worked well for us. There also glue type repair kits but I like this one better. It is available in different colors, etc.
Thanks Ray----just placed the order. I'm sure this stuff will meet and exceed my needs basely upon your recommendation only!

Honestly this is exactly what I was hoping to find--something cheap, quick and easy. Mucho Gracias!
Old 06-29-2019, 12:45 PM   #4

+1 on the Tenacious Tape!
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:01 AM   #5
JWA

I should have my Tenacious Tape in-hand within the next day or so---I'm actually looking forward to using it.

I did work out a bit of a deal with the original manufacturer of my cheap pop-up but their offer of a completely new unit totally free is taking much, much longer than I ever anticipated. Free is good so I can't complain but I'd have gladly paid something for quicker delivery.

At any rate I should have a repaired canopy soon---just in time for a hot sunny mostly dry spell here in the lovely midwest.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:56 AM   #6

I've used Gorilla Tape to repair a tear, a strip on both inside and the outside. Yeah, it looks kinda ghetto, but it works until I buy a replacement awning.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:06 AM   #7
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
I've used Gorilla Tape to repair a tear, a strip on both inside and the outside. Yeah, it looks kinda ghetto, but it works until I buy a replacement awning.
I LOVE that stuff! In fact it was my first consideration but as its so dark colored it concerned me it would absorb too much sunlight and "melt". The Tenacious Tape seems to be made for this use so it was a good choice.

I did receive my order but didn't more carefully consider my actual needs---the 20" piece I received isn't long enough to repair both sides of the canopy.

As a stop gap measure while waiting for another 60" piece to arrive I'll cut 4" pieces to place at the current ends of the rip, one on both sides of the fabric. Once the additional tape arrives I'll be able to do a better repair.

Lesson learned about buying a cheap pop-up canopy---Handle with CARE!