Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #11

Garage
My research revealed that Bluetooth can be spotty and problematic. Haven’t found a product that seems Bullet proof. So have tried the universal third backup light wired. Will report on success (or failure).

Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #12

Costco sell a wireless camera that works great. $160.
Skipperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #13

I used a Garmin GPS that had a Bluetooth backup camera included. All I had to do is wire the camera into my backup lights to power it when in reverse. I tested and installed my camera inside at the top of my rear window. The camera is about the size of a golf ball. It has worked fine for a couple years now on my 2015 Transit SMB. The GPS is specialized for an RV and has worked pretty well.
flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #14

These after market cameras can be problematic in the ensuing years so I’d want the wiring perhaps easy to remove if you need to replace it with a different system down the road.
The mount position of the camera must be decided with the camera on and someone holding it in different positions.
Mine is focused more on the hitch so I can back up to the boat spot on.
The camera should REALLY have a recording system (dash cam) because they are very affordable and can catch an accident and save you from fault.
Just look at all the dash cam vids from Russians on their roads omgosh front and rear cams recording!
Also who wants to miss a ufo landing or other significant event!?
I find it shocking that new vehicles cameras don’t loop record at all.
Take care
jimtmcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #15

Garage
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...13s619-nm.html

I went with this and replaced the stock rear view mirror. It's on with the ignition on.
The reference lines come on when in reverse.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #16

Garage
I got a unit that is wireless and installed it myself on my 2007 SMB 4x4. The camera power wire ties into the rear backup light and it automatically comes on when reverse. Or I have a switch that manually turns on the rear lights (and now the camera, too)
Old 02-10-2020, 03:46 AM   #17

I installed myself a new head unit and a $9 hard-wired backup camera from Amazon on my Jeep. Works great and looks good - except in bright sun with the top down. In those situations the screen gets washed out by sunlight.
In our high roof Sprinter, we asked SMB Texas to replace the factory backup camera with a wider angle camera. They misunderstood and installed a wide angle camera IN ADDITION TO our factory look-down camera. And boy are we glad they did! We can now switch between the look-down view (so we don’t run over anything when backing up) and the new view, which is like a totally unobstructed rear view mirror. In fact we often leave the new view on as a rear view mirror while traveling.
OurayMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #18

I decided I need a backup cam after a tree jumped directly behind my 2003 EB350 SMB.
While turning around in thigh quarters in the Yukon.
I decided on a garmin combo gps & back up cam. All that was required was to tap into the back up lights and bingo. Mounted the cam under storage box mounted on the bumper.
No wires to pull. I am thinking of relocating the cam after reading the above comments.
I do have a separate back up light switch so I can turn the cam on at anytime.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote