Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2020, 09:30 AM   #1

Garage
Backup camera installation

I am putting in a new audio system and backup camera into me 2006 Ford E350 SMB. The choice is pay an installer or DIY. All I need is a monitor with CarPlay and backup camera ready hooked into the existing speakers. My question is what is the difficulty of running wires from the rear of the van to the front in a fully built out Sportsmobile (RB50 interior). Are SMB built to remove siding and access wires easily? I could run wires underneath chassis also if that is simpler. Any advice before I dive in?

Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #2

Garage
Advice I’ll offer is mounting the backup camera high - if you have a spare tire and box on the back, you’ll be able to judge distance much more effectively than a rear license plate mount. You can also see the terrain behind you better.
Personally I’m never comfortable with installing that kind of stuff myself, many here have no issue. If however you have it done by someone else I would certainly have a discussion with how and where they plan to run the wires, especially if they are going to run them underneath... that they are well secured and protected opposed to just looping the wire around existing stuff under the chassis.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #3

Many car audio outfits are comped by the manufacturers. If they sell brand X stereo, brand X will cover the install and its free to the customer
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #4

What would be the best position to install a backup camera with a hightop? I am thinking either directly above or below the third brake light but I wonder if when I brake the light will wash out the image? I am planning run a spare and box on the back eventually.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
_MPR4782.jpg  
Old 02-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belize View Post
My question is what is the difficulty of running wires from the rear of the van to the front in a fully built out Sportsmobile (RB50 interior).
I found it pretty easy to run the camera wires along the factory van passenger side roofline. All of the sportsmobile trim pieces on my van were installed with screws (or maybe just fabric glue) so little risk of breaking clips like with factory trim. I drilled a hole in the pop-top just below the brake light and mounted the camera through there. Ran the wires along the brake light wire until down. Then just pull one trim piece off at a time until you get to the passenger side A-pillar. Pull that off and run the wire down behind the A-pillar trim and under/behind the dash. You’ll figure it out no problem.

The brake light is very slightly visible but only at night. Sometimes I just leave the camera on even when I’m driving and the brake light isn’t a problem. My camera is pointed downward though, but I’m going to make a piece to angle it more because I can’t quite see the hitch ball.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #6

When I bought the van it came with a brand new Panasonic back-up camera in a box, as the previous owner hadn't installed it by the time he sold the van. I think I can mount it right under the light on the pop-top, which should prevent the light from affecting the picture since the camera will be pointing down somewhat and will be below the light. I also think I can run the cable through the wiring harness for the pop-top and then along the bed rail and to the A-Pillar.

Be sure to post pics of your install...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4457.jpg  
Old 02-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
What would be the best position to install a backup camera with a hightop? I am thinking either directly above or below the third brake light but I wonder if when I brake the light will wash out the image? I am planning run a spare and box on the back eventually.

Thoughts?
If it were me, I would position the camera above the brake light. The resolution on these things is pretty good, so IMO the wider viewing angle will only prove a benefit.
I cant offer insight as to any interference from the brake light (soon I plan on installing an additional one high as well, so that's a great question I never took into consideration), but should easily be answered by contacting a couple installers.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:42 PM   #8

I had installed a backup camera a while ago on our 2010 pop top and was able to run the wires in the existing setup they have for powering the rear brake light and down the passenger side all the way down to the A-pillar.
It has been a great addition,and I actually run it into its own screen mounted in the centre of the upper ceiling tray.
What I would have done differently would have been to get an additional camera and mounted them together as it would have been easy at the time,and one viewing directly down while the other further out.
I also mounted it below the rear brake light which has worked well.
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:20 AM   #9

Garage
Thanks for all the comments and advice. I will probably do a DIY with the camera near the third backup light.
Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #10

I was looking at these recently and see that they make a bluetooth version, not sure of the quality but it would certainly make it easy.
Eatmorefish is offline   Reply With Quote