Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #11

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Yes, I have solar with a Blue Sky controller.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #12

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Wow, ok I read thru that but will have to go back and read again. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Could be a bad battery in the loop, connection or a separator issue. Check the easy things first. Do you have a Surepower separator?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #14

Wow. This is quite educational! I am having a new truck battery put in tomorrow. My fingers are crossed hoping that will work.

My separater is under the gaucho and is turned with the label facing the van wall. I'll have to take a mirror or maybe my cell phone and try to capture the data.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #15

The new battery did not help. I am going over to SMB next Friday to have a new AGM battery installed. I think this will solve the problem.

The way it is working now with the separator on - coach battery builds up to 14.5 volts, click, voltage drops to 12.5, click, voltage builds up again.

In any event, who ever buys this will get new batteries!

Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage
Keith were you having issues when boon docked and the house battery dropping below what you normally see? It could be a separator issue... Don't want to lead you off stray but it seems like it would be one battery or the other. That doesn't mean it isn't something else.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:27 AM   #17

My assumptions here are that you plug in (Shore Power) and you see your house battery voltage go to 14.5 and then you here a click and it drops to 12.5. And then we hear another click, and the cycle continues. You can pull the ground wire off of the Surepower and disable it. This should allow you to see your house battery go through a full charge and end up[ at a float voltage. You should be able to tell if your battery is holding voltage.

Your're reported truck (van ) battery of at 12 volts was not good. Since you are taking it into SMB have them check out the functioning of the separator. The age itself would put it into the category of possible problems, that they should be able to check for.

Unfortunately, it takes a lot of small details to really get the correct picture of what could be going wrong. It does not sound like you're house battery is bad, but I could be missing one of those key details.

I am sorry that the new battery did not fix you're issue.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #18

The end of the story. Yesterday at Sportsmobile my battery test good. They installed a Blue Seas Automatic Charging Relay, model 7620 and today all works like it should.

Thanks to all for the assistance in solving my problem.

And wow! The new 4x4 Sprinters with the black hoods look awesome. The hood must be metal but is covered in a black covering that matches the grill and trim panels.

Santa? Santa?
Old 12-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #19
tlg

Garage
Glad to hear the problem was resolved. There should be a dedicated page in the owners manual about sepatator maintenance, issues, and lifespan. Merry Christmas!