Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #1

Best 9 or 12 volt coffee maker?

Hi all, have an 02 SMB with solar. Bought a keurig for the van but it doesn’t have enough juice to power it.

I looked at 9 volt trucker coffee makes but the reviews are pretty poor.

I do outdoor cooking on a Coleman stove, so would rather not have to set it up to percolate.

Any suggestions for an easy to use, low power coffee maker? K cups or coffee filter approach preferred….

Bay Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:27 AM   #2

Just my feelings here - anybody's right to choose - you have to hopefully dispose of K-Cups in the trash somewhere - and there are lots of campgrounds requiring "pack it in - pack it out" policies - why not consider a percolator or French press - or a system using burnable coffee filters in your camp fire - saving on that trash thing. Even coffee grounds might be considered "organically disposable" ?

I use either propane or butane stove inside my SMB for coffee or "bath water" for sponge bath - with disposable wipes that can be burned in camp fire. IF - you can have that campfire baed on what's happening out west regarding forest fires. Then - everybody's "packing it out."

"World in changes -- "
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:41 AM   #3

Considering how inefficient it is to heat water with electrical power, I opted for one of these to heat enough water for a cup of instant coffee. You have to be careful because the element will burn itself out if it has not been immersed. There is no switch, so it has to be unplugged. A cheap 120V timer would help. The link below seems to be the best amazon could offer for this application.

Anyway, no paper, no grounds; just rinse your cup when done.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076QJBXKD...ding=UTF8&th=1

I could not find anything for a 3-minute timer, but at least 10 minutes might stop you from burning up the heater if you walk away from your coffee cup for a few minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/SIMPLE-Shut-O...07Z884HYZ&th=1
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:42 AM   #4

Garage
No suggestions for a low power machine.

I use a stove, butane/propane or canister style, to make coffee in a Moka pot inside. Might go back to a French press, but they take a bit of extra water to clean. I use a manual espresso machine at home, but haven’t tried to run it in the van.

There are also bag coffee options for use in hot water.

I also use Via instant coffee, pretty good and a small single packet that takes no space empty.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:17 AM   #5

Garage
Do a Google search for Coleman propane coffee maker. I’ve been using them for about 8 years now. Utilizes the small green propane cylinders, and I can run a good 3 or 4 days on a can (I make two Pots). So no need for battery juice.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:22 AM   #6

We have used a little 4 cup Mr Coffee Coffee maker we bought at Target in Las Vegas on vacation for years. It only burns 700 watts and is powered by a Magnum 1000watt inverter fairly easily. It's unromantic and probably inefficient compared to propane but I enjoy drinking coffee made with solar panels. Making Coffee is one of those things like solar power, sex and driving, everyone is doing it and everyone thinks their way is the best way. Just have fun.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 01:12 PM   #7

Took my glass French press out once - of course I broke it! Instant coffee now.. not very good, but quick and simple and good enough for camp coffee.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 03:55 PM   #8
Site Team

I've been a tea drinker for years and years, though I've recently experimented with steeped cacao (via a French Press). That said, if you want 12V appliance options, these sites are always bookmarked for me.

https://www.12volt-travel.com/

https://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-...appliances.htm

Herb
Old 08-28-2022, 09:04 AM   #9

Right on time: just yesterday a friend visiting gave me a Conqueco. 12V or battery powered. Tested it once yesterday and the coffee came out hot with crema :-)

But: it‘s more a sip of coffee and not for larger volumes. So we‘ll mainly use it during driving and still go back to our MSR Windburner French Press while in the camp.
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 09:13 AM   #10

In my experience, and humble opinion, all DC coffee makers are junk.

Single burner butane stove used indoors or wherever ($50ish at most)
Butane canisters available at any Walmart or outdoor store ($4?)
Pour over coffee filters ($2 for 6 months worth)

Add your favorite mug and any ground coffee for truly phenomenal coffee

This method has one drawback, only one cup at a time.
It also has the simplest cleanup I've ever dealt with. Just like a drip coffee pot, remove filter with grounds and discard. Done.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote