Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2022, 06:09 PM   #1

Question Best anti-theft catalytic converter solution for Ford E250 2001?

Seeking recommendations for an anti-theft catalytic converter solution for Ford E250 2001.

Local police have started a program by painting catalytic converters with orange hi-temp paint and etching VIN numbers. I am skeptical that the paint is making much of a difference. Police have said the scrapyards won't buy marked catalytic converters.

I am considering CatClamp.

CatClamp Catalytic Converter Lock

Thoughts?

Thank you

Old 04-21-2022, 06:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Your best bet is to wade through this thread.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ter-28126.html

It's a sad state of affairs that we actually are the point that so many people have these questions.

Herb
Old 04-23-2022, 02:19 PM   #3

I realize there's an older thread about cat thefts and brainstorming counter measures, but I too am thinking of the cat clamp on my 2001 E250 which is awaiting a replacement converter and insurance claim, etc. They've been around, and seem a reasonable deterrent. I just wonder if there are places underneath to route those cables to the frame. I suppose I could have someone weld some attachment points if necessary.

It's at least some prevention...given mine was hit in a lot with lots of other commercial, newer model vans and big E450 Class Bs (a corp and RV lot), my van was probably the easiest target, and I want them to move on to someone else
Old 04-28-2022, 02:12 PM   #4

Hi Rob, We installed a catclamp on our 2011 E350. Ended up having places on frame to route cable without problem. Of note, we have 2 catalytic converters. There was enough room to install CC on passenger side, but not on drivers side. Clearance to drive shaft was less than 3 inches, so will have to come up with additional solution for drivers side. I will post some photos of install in the next couple of days. Cheers, Linda
lulupass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:20 PM   #5

Thanks Linda.

Turns out my situation is more complex than I thought.

I believe my 2001 E250 5.8L came with THREE cats: one on each side of the engine, approximately, and one to the back just forward of the muffler. That was the one that was stolen; easy to do. But in my case the driver's side pipe and cat were re-routed to make room for the transfer case during the Salem Kroger 4x4 conversion. Might actually make it hard to steal.

In any case I have a couple spots it looks like I can get at least three cable wraps around. Still hassling with my insurance, so haven't yet got one back in to see if the Cat Clamp will fit. I've thought of just covering it, but that might be more hassle and not any more secure.
Old 04-30-2022, 02:11 PM   #6

I guess going with an EV would help with this problem, but I can only imagine what it will be like when they start stealing batteries from the EVs.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:23 PM   #7

For Rob Gendreau and the Forum -- eventually I'll post my CAT Protector - similar to BoyWonder's rig. (Thanks !). I used st steel cabling and st steel clamps to hold the cabling - both standard width and 4 inch "band" clamps -- did my Big CAT first - will do the driver side CAT (smaller) as it's more exposed to sawzall than the passenger side CAT - which is more tucked up into the framing and engine bay.
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:48 PM   #8

CC photos

photos of install of CC.

Also, recent article in on KSL (salt lake city): https://www.ksl.com/article/50396342...ome-deterrents
Attached Thumbnails
cat clamp1.jpg   cat clamp2.jpg   cat clamp3.jpg   cat clamp4.jpg  
lulupass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:29 PM   #9

I know anything can be defeated given enough time, but I guess I just don't see how the cables are going to be a deterrent against a battery powered angle grinder with a cutoff wheel? It might take an extra 10-20 seconds to cut the bottom 1 or 2 so the cat can drop out. Yeah, that nearly doubles the time it would have taken someone to steal it otherwise, but it'd still be under a minute, which is still too quick to bring me any comfort.

In my mind, it seems like adding an exhaust hanger above the cat (so the cat would not come out even with both ends of the pipe already cut) and a belly skid that's big enough that a sawzall couldn't reach said hanger would be about the best we could get? I've stared at the underside of my van recently and it looks like a second factory transmission crossmember (sourced from a junkyard) could be bolted on a little ways behind the existing crossmember (minding the mounting height to allow for driveshaft clearance), drill some holes through the lip of each crossmember, and bolt on a FLAT plate of the metal of your choosing. Bonus points for actually being a functional skid plate. It's on my very long list of projects I'd like to knock out, but it hasn't made it's way to the top of that list yet.
TheLetterJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:02 PM   #10
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I know anything can be defeated given enough time, but I guess I just don't see how the cables are going to be a deterrent against a battery powered angle grinder with a cutoff wheel? It might take an extra 10-20 seconds to cut the bottom 1 or 2 so the cat can drop out. Yeah, that nearly doubles the time it would have taken someone to steal it otherwise, but it'd still be under a minute, which is still too quick to bring me any comfort.

I think the idea is that most thieves will use a sawzall, and it's very hard to cut a cable with a sawzall. Any angle grinder with a big enough wheel to cut all the way through the exhaust piping is going to be hard to fit into the available space, plus angle grinders are more likely to draw attention with their high-pitched noise and the sparks they throw.

I suppose someone could bring a Sawzall to cut the piping *and* a small angle grinder for the cables, but it'd probably be easier to just move on to another vehicle.

That said I think your skid pan idea is cool! It would have to be fairly thick to slow down a sawzall, but it needs to be thick anyway if it's going to function as a protector plate.

Tags
anti-theft, catalytic converter