Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

best method to fill water tank from inside the van?

I'm sure this has been discussed, but if anyone can make up for my inability to find it easily through searching the forum I'd appreciate your pointing me in the right direction.

I'd like thoughts on clever ways to fill up the water talk from inside the van from a jug.

I've seen Fitz's angled pipe - I probably won't get it together to make one.

I was thinking of cutting a couple feet off the end of a garden hose and taping a funnel to it. Seems like filling the tank will then be a two person job, but that that could work well enough. Before sacrificing the hose, wondering if there are any other, better ideas out there.

Thanks
Mike

mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #2

Come back and I will make the same adapter for you and show you how to connect it to a 5 gallon collapsible jug. No matter what I hear, this two person job always turns into a one person job, with me being that one person!
Old 11-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #3

How do we contact the Vatican and nominate Fitz for sainthood?

Edit: Hopefully death is not a prerequisite for this honor.
mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #4

I was raised Catholic, death and penance definitely required!
Old 11-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #5

I would by no means call it "best", but I use a jerry-rigged combination of spouted water jug, 4-foot potable water hose, a female-female garden hose adapter, and a surprisingly useful yet compact thingy called a "water bandit".

Description and photo here:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post228302

I had no luck with funnels; they'll either be too big to store or too small to avoid a huge mess.
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

I use a MSR Dromedary 2 1/2 gal water bag that I use for kayak touring. Bag has a spigot and I push a plastic tube over spigot. Tube is attached to adapter screwed on to filler hose. The MSR bags have a strap that I loop over roof latches, the lower section with hole in it. It is like a transfusion and will suck bag dry. Bags are black and super tough. I use them for solar showers as well, with 6' of tube and a sink spritzer attached. Bags roll up and store well and will last many years. Lance
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #7

I use this simple pump fits in my water jug or pump water out of ice chest and it works great for a back up shower device. Modified with a female barbed water hose fitting and I changed original hose with potable water quality hose even though device does say not for potable water but I don't really drink from my on board water tank just for washing. That's my solution. Pump was $16 on eBay a few more dollars for fitting. I like it because no lifting and pouring and good for washing other stuff small easy to store

dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #8

Garage
You guys are making too much of this! When I bring my water jug inside from the rear carrier and place it on the counter top, I simply use one of those siphon hoses with the hose connector that goes right on the H20 tank inlet under the RB50 couch. It's the one with the check valve that you shake up and down a few times to get the flow going.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
You guys are making too much of this! When I bring my water jug inside from the rear carrier and place it on the counter top, I simply use one of those siphon hoses with the hose connector that goes right on the H20 tank inlet under the RB50 couch. It's the one with the check valve that you shake up and down a few times to get the flow going.

This is the quick and easy way

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #10

Garage
I just use about a 30" length of clear tubing with brass female fitting from Lowes to screw on the tank inlet. Simple funnel that fits into the other end of the tubing. Pour from bottle.