Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #1

biggest tire size to not rub without a lift 2wd

Hello,
Soon to be new smb owner. It is a 04 E-350 extended. It will need new tires and would like a more all terrain aggressive tire. I believe 245/75/16 is on there now. I am looking at Bf goodrich AT, Cooper discoverer A/T3 or goodyear duratec or possible any other suggestions. Mostly highway but some snow, rain here back east. I might do a small 1.5 to 2 in lift latter. Do you think a 265/75/16 would fit and possible not rub? I don't have possession of the smb yet. Kinda leaning towards the Cooper for price , 55k mile warranty and great reviews but open to suggestions on size and tire. Thank you!!

subluxation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:26 AM   #2
Wbp

Re: biggest tire size to not rub without a lift 2wd

I added a 2" lift from action van and was able to put 265/70 17 on 17x8 wheels and have no rub problems. If I had not lifted the front it would rub for sure.
Wbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #3

I have the same setup (2wd, no lift) and I remember looking before we got new shoes and 245 was the largest w/o lift.

If you go 265 I think there are actually spring/shock clearance issues and not just the occasional rub on a full-lock turn.

PS Before dumping huge amounts into a lift, take possession first and check it out. I think our grey tank drain valve is the lowest point and in 3 years of mixed driving with plenty of off road over rocks and roots, I think I may have caught the valve once and it was from dropping off a curb I didn't see combined with the shocks bottoming out.

My point is, I think you may have plenty of clearance with no lift. Also keep in mind as I keep reminding myself, entry and exit at stock height is much more pleasant when camping than having to step higher and/or use a step stool.
E277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #4

Thanks for advice, I just like look of small lift, nice tires to look more like 4 x 4, I'm picking up on west coast next week and owner says tires are marginal and gonna drive all way back to Ohio . Safety first concern but probably correct to get the vehicle and evaluate and not rush tire size until I have possession. Just seeing if anyone was running 265/75/16 or biggest tire I could with your all recommendations with no lift and no rubbing then it would transition to small lift latter or leave alone. Thanks for input.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #5

265 75 16 BFG AT on two of my stock E350 and they both had the slightest rub only at full lock.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:35 PM   #6

Great, thanks for the info. I still got the 16 in factory rims so probably get possession first and stick with 16's for now and see if much of a difference from 245 to 265. Appreciate the input.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #7

biggest tire size to not rub without a lift 2wd

I have a 2008 E350 EB. Last summer I went from the stock 245/75/R16 tires to 265/75/R16. No clearance or rubbing issues. Everything is stock, no lift.

Combined with rear spacers, it looks much better. Speedo is off ~3%.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 05-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #8

Garage

My 2008 RB is running 265/75 R16 Michelin LTX on stock rims. I have had no rubbing. My wife talked the shop into putting the front tires on and testing for rubbing.
pinz712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #9

Thanks for the advise. This gives some great options. Smooth ride and gas mileage are key but would like good aggressive tread design and traction and looks as well.