Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #21

The Aluminess bike rack swing arm is now priced at $900. It was $650 last year, I am assuming it was the tariffs. The 1up part costs $189 each, this is a little less than 1up's website at present, I think. For the arm and two 1up trays with locks it is a $1318. bike rack. It is by far the most expensive bike rack out there, but if you want it to integrate into the Aluminess rear bumper then you have no other choice. The bike rack arm can hold 200lb vs. the old arm which has a 100lb capacity. It is frustrating that the papers that Aluminess sends to take measurements once the order has been placed are from last year. So as I read what measurements Aluminess wants me to take I am reminded of the $650 price that is printed on the forms. Yes I have ordered one, and yes it is a wait of over one month to get it. So plan accordingly. I am ever hopeful that it will work and fit. My savings is less but no more storing the bikes inside.

salim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by salim View Post
The Aluminess bike rack swing arm is now priced at $900. It was $650 last year, I am assuming it was the tariffs. The 1up part costs $189 each, this is a little less than 1up's website at present, I think. For the arm and two 1up trays with locks it is a $1318. bike rack. It is by far the most expensive bike rack out there, but if you want it to integrate into the Aluminess rear bumper then you have no other choice. The bike rack arm can hold 200lb vs. the old arm which has a 100lb capacity. It is frustrating that the papers that Aluminess sends to take measurements once the order has been placed are from last year. So as I read what measurements Aluminess wants me to take I am reminded of the $650 price that is printed on the forms. Yes I have ordered one, and yes it is a wait of over one month to get it. So plan accordingly. I am ever hopeful that it will work and fit. My savings is less but no more storing the bikes inside.

It was about a year ago that Aluminess beefed up their rack from round tubing to square. That might be part of it. And it's not just a bike rack if you factor in a box and ability to carry water and other stuff as well as bikes. Well worth the investment if your on the fence.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #23

I have the 1 Up's on my deluxe box and like the racks. Like others have said it is a bit tough getting bikes up there and the 1 Up's are tougher than most to work with at that height.

Mine is an older setup with Thule bars mounted to the Deluxe box. My current bikes weigh in at about 38 lbs so I don't feel comfortable with them up there on rough roads. I'll get the updated swingarm at some point and then I'll have no worries about stability. I also have a Kuat swingaway mount for the hitch that I use.

https://roberttilley.smugmug.com/Car...le/i-MkXQLRg/A
Old 05-30-2019, 08:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
My current bikes weigh in at about 38 lbs so I don't feel comfortable with them up there on rough roads.

Curiosity has the best of me: what kind of bikes? Seems heavy for even a DH bike, are they e-bikes?
Old 05-30-2019, 08:07 PM   #25
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by salim View Post
The Aluminess bike rack swing arm is now priced at $900. It was $650 last year, I am assuming it was the tariffs . . . .
We bought a deluxe box for $675 last November. It’s 825 now. We made sure we’d get a pre-tariff price when we ordered.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:47 PM   #26

I have 2 Aluminess Deluxe boxes and two 1 UpUSA bike racks on top of them. I am an avid cyclists and carry my light 18 lb road bike along with my wife's 35-40 lb ebike on them all the time. I love these bike racks. They are secure and easy to load for me (I am 60 years old). You do have to be a little careful when the boxes are swung out so you don't forget they are there and hit your head but I got use to this quickly. The racks are very strong and fast to load up. There is absolutely no concern with these bikes not being secure. I can still see out my back windows reasonably well with the bikes on. I always use good locks on the bikes but having them mounted fairly high like this makes them less of a target for thieves. Overall, I love these bike racks. They are worth every penny to me. The Aluminess boxes are also great for storage. I would buy these again in a heartbeat. Like they always say, you get what you pay for.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #27

Being an avid cyclist and having owned many bike racks. Not much beats the easy of a hitch mounted rack. I don't like racks where the bike sticks out above the top of the vehicle because bikes get a 70 mph pressure washing when it rains and all the bugs the bikes catches. Anything too high and you have to do a gymnastics move to get the bike on and off. Forget trunk mounted strap on (scary). The hitch mounted where the bikes hang by the top tube, are usually very strong and protect the bike. Plenty of locks including a simp!e cable and chain. Cable also allows for locking the front wheel.
Mine, swings down but I have seen swing to the side models.
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...ing-4-_-9027xt
Then only problem I have with mine is that the bikes tend to swing. Easily fixed by fastening the bikes to the main post. By the way, old tubes make great bungee cords. I get many flats and have an endless supply.
Brianf7028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #28

It would be difficult to have Aluminess boxes on the back plus a rear hitch rack. It would add another 3 feet to the van length and you would need at least a 12" hitch extender to get the rack behind the boxes. You also couldn't swing out the boxes to open the rear van door which is one of the main advantages of the Aluminess boxes.

When my bikes are on top of my Aluminess boxes, they are stilll below the van roof so they are largely protected from the wind and bugs even when I don't use my rain cover. I lock them on the rack with a super heavy chain lock along with a cable lock on the wheels. The weight of the bikes rests on the wheels of the 1 UpUSA bike rack and not on my carbon bike top tubes. I love my rear bike rack though on my regular SUV.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:43 PM   #29

Garage
@jrobe. Do you have the Aluminess bike rack swivel arm? Or are the bikes mounted on the boxes? I have a 2019 Ford Transit with dual swing arms for my deluxe box and spare tire. Aluminess doesn’t have a bike rack swing arm available for the Transit and with the new ownership, it doesn’t sound like they are interested in fabricating one.
@ritilley What Thule bars are you using for your 1UP racks? How did you mount them to the box.
Thanks.

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:52 PM   #30

I have the bike rack swing arm with the 1upUSA bike carriers attached directly to the arms.

Tags
bike rack, econoline, ford 350, ford e-series, quigley