Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
lbp

Black Tank Enzymes and Water Filters

Hi all -

First, let me say that I have been finding the threads on the forum to be extremely helpful, so thank you to everyone who participates, asks questions, and gives advice! I have 2 more questions to put out to this community:

1) We have decided on a black tank / marine toilet in our van, which we hope to be picking up in early February. Do folks have any recommendation for environmentally friendly enzymes to put in to the tank to help with making it easier to dump the tank?

2) We are looking into water filters and are leaning towards one of two options: one is an "in line filter," with replaceable filters, that attaches to a hose when filling the fresh water tank. The other is to simply get a Brita type filter to use with a pitcher and place in the refrigerator. Any experience / suggestions?

Thanks!
lbp

lbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:34 AM   #2

The Camco enzyme pouches work great. I buy them in the large tub. If you let the pouch dissolve in the bowl first, it keeps the flush gasket lubricated.

I don’t recommend using the inline filter when filling the tank with city water because it removes chlorine, and municipal chlorination will help prevent microbial growth in your system. Do use it if filling with well water, since that reduce any microbes that may be present in well water. I use a Britta pitcher as well just to remove any unpleasant tastes from some local water systems, and for cold water in the summer.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
lbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
The Camco enzyme pouches work great. I buy them in the large tub. If you let the pouch dissolve in the bowl first, it keeps the flush gasket lubricated.

I don’t recommend using the inline filter when filling the tank with city water because it removes chlorine, and municipal chlorination will help prevent microbial growth in your system. Do use it if filling with well water, since that reduce any microbes that may be present in well water. I use a Britta pitcher as well just to remove any unpleasant tastes from some local water systems, and for cold water in the summer.
Thanks for your reply! I had not thought about the effects of removing chlorine, indeed I'd looked at it as a positive, at least in terms of taste. Sounds like just filling with water and then using a Brita filter in a pitcher is the way to go. Still curious as to other people's experiences, but very much appreciate this.
lbp
Old 12-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #4

Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:35 PM   #5
lbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
Thank you! I'll check this out.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #6

Its a long watch but its what i do with my chinook. I dont buy toilet chemicals.
Even when i was using the chemicals my black tank still smelled. I started using that method and all the smells are gone. Been using it for about 5 months now.
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #7

We have stealth system from Guzzleh2o https://www.guzzleh2o.com/ installed in our van and like it but it is a lot more $ than a Britta and you need power for UV light. It only filters water for the sink faucet. You could also plumb a small sized carbon filter inline for faucet water for a lot less too. We used a britta when we camped before we had our van it works but does take up storage space and counter space to use. It is really convenient turning on the faucet and having filtered water. I wouldn’t filter water for an entire van, especially since we have a shower.
Ronsonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
lbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsonn View Post
We have stealth system from Guzzleh2o https://www.guzzleh2o.com/ installed in our van and like it but it is a lot more $ than a Britta and you need power for UV light. It only filters water for the sink faucet. You could also plumb a small sized carbon filter inline for faucet water for a lot less too. We used a britta when we camped before we had our van it works but does take up storage space and counter space to use. It is really convenient turning on the faucet and having filtered water. I wouldn’t filter water for an entire van, especially since we have a shower.
Thanks for this information, Ronsonn. This looks like a very nice system. Do you have it permanently installed under your sink? If so, I'm curious as to how much room it takes up. If you can post a picture that would be really helpful. Our van is just getting built now, supposed to be done by February. I don't know if SMB West would install it, but with all we're spending on the van, perhaps the price tag won't hurt as much to have it as part of the build ;-)
Old 12-13-2020, 02:09 PM   #9

We have been full-time in an RV for 14 years. The topic of black tank additives comes up frequently in forums. My experience, and that of many others, is to not use anything in the tank other than lots of water.
The black tank is not a septic tank. It is merely a holding tank until you get to a dump spot. The daily jostling of the liquid will break up things.
Do use septic friendly paper as it breaks up more easily. Put some septic friendly paper in a jar with water and shake it. You'll see how easily it breaks down.
As for water filters - we have a Berkey and absolutely love it. We had RO units in our big trailer. What a PITA. The Berkey was a game changer. Will not go without one.
Kevin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbp View Post
Thanks for this information, Ronsonn. This looks like a very nice system. Do you have it permanently installed under your sink? If so, I'm curious as to how much room it takes up. If you can post a picture that would be really helpful. Our van is just getting built now, supposed to be done by February. I don't know if SMB West would install it, but with all we're spending on the van, perhaps the price tag won't hurt as much to have it as part of the build ;-)
It’s permanently installed attached is a picture. it’s a bit challenging to photograph well. The UV filter is behind the carbon filter. The unit is about 9” deep but with the plumbing it has it takes up 14” but could be decreased a bit depending on fittings. The filter unit extends 6” out from the side of the cabinet. Getting a builder who normally doesn’t install this could be a challenge. If you wanted to install yourself afterwards make sure they provide a power lead for the UV but that might not be something they want to do, if no power then you should be able to find a carbon filter of similar size if there is room in the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
C415030B-6D85-4D14-8580-C1B0BE608875.jpeg  
Ronsonn is offline   Reply With Quote