Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2022, 02:36 PM   #1

Body shop recommendation in SoCal?

I need to pull the windshield and clean up some rust starting there. Can you guys make a recommendation? I hope to find a shop in socal who would do this….any suggestions? Thanks, Tom M

Elltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 04:52 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elltom View Post
I need to pull the windshield and clean up some rust starting there. Can you guys make a recommendation? I hope to find a shop in socal who would do this….any suggestions? Thanks, Tom M
What year and brand van do you have?

For the most part this doesn't require a body shop if the rust removal/treatment is DIY. Call a local auto glass shop and schedule they visit to remove the glass for you. Budget for a new windshield as its very difficult to remove on with thoughts to save it.

If you're hiring this out I got nothing as I'm a bit east of you.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 11:01 AM   #3

It’s an 06 e350 Quigley. I got in in 08. JWA, you always offer great advice! Thank you!

I would like to find someone to do this for me. I can imagine the right guy solving the issue by doing it carefully. There are other outcomes I can imagine also, lol.

Take care guys!1
Elltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 05:08 PM   #4

I'll through this out there.

While working with Toyota Collision Center in Carlsbad to get my truck straightened out I asked my advisor (who had worked for more than a few auto outfits) where's the best place to take a vehicle for rust body repair. He said not a body shops but a restoration outfit. Many body shops will disappoint only wanting to chase insurance claims. But restoration shops know how to deal with rust specializing in rehabbing old classics.

His recommendation to me was Sparks Restoration in Fallbrook. I have no affiliation with them, nor have I talked with them before.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:16 AM   #5
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elltom View Post
It’s an 06 e350 Quigley. I got in in 08. JWA, you always offer great advice! Thank you!

I would like to find someone to do this for me. I can imagine the right guy solving the issue by doing it carefully. There are other outcomes I can imagine also, lol.

Take care guys!1
Well then contact a smaller independent glass shop owner, tell them what you're hoping to achieve and ask if they'd allow you to visit in person and discuss how'd they'd do this job for you.

You're welcome to PM your location and I might be able to arrange an OEM windshield purchase if my wholesale outfit has a branch close by or within reasonable driving distance. I think they have like 57 locations across the US.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:05 AM   #6

I agree with above. SoCal body shops chase insurance claims, you need a restoration shop or maybe just some knowhow. A place that does hot rod windshields would know how to treat the rust where the windshield fits(that doesn't mean you have to do the plastic windshield, just treat the rust area).
We don't have a lot of rusted out vehicles here unless they are 50+ years old and labor is very expensive here.
A good sanding and priming with POR15(rust encapsulating paint) and cover with a good primer that won't allow the sun to breakdown the RE paint. You may have to lay in some lead soldier or some body putty, it depends if you want it to last 20 years or 40 years. Good luck and do not shortcut.
rt66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:07 PM   #7

I don't know if its most but many body and repair shops nowadays will contract out their windshield work because, unless they have a technician doing windshields all the time, it's too easy for these shops to loose money due to breakage, sealing problems, and other risks related to ancillary systems such as radio antennae, adaptive cruise control etc.

I needed to get my 06 E350 SMB windshield replaced earlier this year and went to Safelite in Reno. Their price was fine (around $300 +/- as I recall, including the glass). But when the advisor went to look at the van they saw surface rust on the van roof about an inch or two back from where the w/s gasket met the roof. (Where gasket for the penthouse roof contacts the roof) At that point they refused to do any work on the van on the basis that there might be more severe hidden rust under the w/s gasket. So then took it to BriteGlass in Reno. I pointed out the surface rust to them and they weren't intimidated by it. Said they would cleanup and primer any rust so long as the metal wasn't perforated or compromised. Price was the around the same as Safelight. Only problem was they couldn't get a windshield delivered before I had to leave on vacation. So in the end, I was talking to my diesel mechanic and he said I could drop the van off with him and he'd have his contract mobile windshield guy replace it and while it was out my diesel mechanic said he'd cleanup any rust issues. Cost was a little bit more by using my mechanic as middleman vs the Safelite/BriteGlass route but I don't mind supporting my mechanic and I'm confident my mechanic made sure the work was done right.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:24 AM   #8

If you're near Long Beach, I just took the van in for some roof rust and the guys at Burke's Auto Body and Paint did a great job. I'm going to take it back come the first of the year to have bedliner tinted to match the paint and applied to the pop-top and roof area.

Ask for Cody.

-Mark
Old 11-09-2022, 04:36 PM   #9

If you live near Santa Ana, you might try Dealers Service Company, Inc. They have done body work on several vehicles for me (including my '03 E350) and always did a good, professional job, at a reasonable price. Give Leno, the service manager, a call at 714-543-8458.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 05:41 AM   #10
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedpm View Post
I don't know if its most but many body and repair shops nowadays will contract out their windshield work because, unless they have a technician doing windshields all the time, it's too easy for these shops to loose money due to breakage, sealing problems, and other risks related to ancillary systems such as radio antennae, adaptive cruise control etc.
For the most part you're correct about body shops doing glass work. When I owned my own body shop using outside installers was the way to go as it did eliminate all the "risk" of in-house installation. As vehicles grow ever increasingly complex with more crap added to its glass components it becomes imperative to keep abreast of the newest additions in order to limit issues due improper installation. Add in the potential for liability attaching to something seemingly as "easy" as windshield installation farming this operation to a third party is a good business choice.

Your allowing your mechanic to oversee the W/S replacement was wise as he's most likely to be familiar with another shop's work---he's not likely to risk his reputation on another's work if its the least bit unreliable.

Glad you got that all sorted out!