Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #1

Bought a chinook

Learned a lot from you guys and wanted to say thanks. I ended up getting a 2004 chinook and am excited to get going now. I litter ally spent years him hawing around trying to find the one. I wish there was a chinook forum as good as this sportsmobile one. I could use the help figuring out what's wrong with the roof a/c and some slightly sloppy suspension. I'm sure I'll figure it out some how though.

Anyway.. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Manitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #2

Re: Bought a chinook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou
I wish there was a chinook forum as good as this sportsmobile one. I could use the help figuring out what's wrong with the roof a/c and some slightly sloppy suspension.
Sweet!

Yep, a decent Chinook forum would be nice.

What's the A/C doing?

What's the suspension doing?

Congrats
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Nice. I sure would like to see SMB pick up that torch... maybe just a bit better departure angle. I always thought the Chinook as a nice in-between the Ford and larger RV's.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #4

Have you checked out the yahoo group for Chinook owners? Not nearly as well organized as this forum but there are guys that know a lot about the nooks. I sold my sportsmobile last weekend and brought home a chinook. Not nearly as nice as yours as mine is a 99 Chassis / 2000 camper. I will still troll this forum bi-daily (ok, multiple times daily) as it is a tremendous resource.

For handling on the nooks, some guys have replaced the sway bars with Helwigs and noted greatly improved handling. http://chinookconcourse.tumblr.com/ and search the archive for a write up of this done to a 1997. Can be done easily in your driveway.

My overall impressions were that the chinook drove and handled very well. I drove somewhere north of 75 mph and south of 83 mph through the hills of TN and KY and still got over 10 mpg. For a rig this substantial I was impressed. This is close to the 12 - 14 I was getting in my Van. I am not impressed with the rear overhang. I also think that there are many places to make improvements with respect to the shell and interior components.

At the end of the day, like the van, the chinook has several things that are typical RV. Unlike the van it does not have the utilitarian aspect of being able to open the side doors and toss in ten bags of mulch.
catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote