Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #1

Boulder or Denver CO mechanic recommendation?

Greetings All:

New member here and new (to me) SMB owner as well. Great forum! The info here is a must for any prospective SMB owner.

I'm looking for a reliable place to have my 2005 EB350 6.0 Diesel SMB 4x4 serviced in the Boulder/Denver area. Any diesel mechanic recommendations out there?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Jay

mtnrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Re: Boulder or Denver CO mechanic recommendation?

Hey, welcome. I have been using Pellmans Automotive in Boulder for a while now for all my cars maintenance, including my 03 7.3L diesel SMB, while not specifically a diesel shop, they do have a diesel tech. It does all depend on what you're needing, they pretty much do it all, and if they don't they'll know where to send you for say an allignment. If you need exhaust work-Boulder Muffler. There are some specialty diesel performance shops in the area, if that's what you need, Five R trucks and ATS for upgraded performance parts, trannys, turbos etc. Are you in Boulder or Denver? Also 4wheelparts on federal has lots of stuff and a shop. Good luck, see you around.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response. I'm out on Baseline by Lafayette. Lived in Evergreen for 14 years then moved up here about 1 1/2 years ago. I'm getting four new tires installed next week (Nitto Terra Grapplers, 285/75/16 "E" per recommendations here and through friends) and am in need of an alignment. As well, the van needs a brake job (picked up the new rotors at Dynatrac last week). I've been using Gene's Continental Coach for the Jeep and Toyota but am looking for a more diesel specific shop. I know of two diesel guys off Hampden and Santa Fe (TSC Plus and Progressive) but they're both an hour or so away. Same with High Country 4x4. Besides, I'd like to give the business to someone local. The SMB spent it's life in SOCAL and on the drive back to Colorado I noticed the temp. gauge dropped whenever I went down hill in cold weather. Van ran great, though. Got almost 17mpg from Las Vegas to Boulder. As a new 6.0 diesel owner, I'm prepared, and half expecting, to invest in the Bulletproof tactic from the folks in Mesa, AZ. Hence my search for a diesel shop.

I'm planning to use Boulder Offroad for anything else that may creep up- suspension, propane installation, etc. I've heard good things about 'em and, of course, they're local.

Thanks again.
-Jay
Old 01-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #4

I've used TSC for my 2003 7.3 van. Wayne is probably one of the best in the area. I have no complaints but my wallet sure does h8 diesel mechanics
Old 01-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #5

Antero Automotive, do everything, great diesel techs, but unfortunately further than just about anything from you.

I like the Nittos on my pickup, I want to see them on a van.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #6

Thanks all for the quick replies! Pellman's is working on it today- brakes, fluids, thermostat, etc. Thanks REF for the recommendation. Spoke with Nick at TSC. That shop seems pretty fluent in all things 6.0, including the Bulletproof kit option. Thanks all for the help with my new toy. I'll post some photos of the rig with it's new shoes once installed.

Regards,
Jay
Old 09-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #7

I currently have my van at Boulder Offroad. My ujoints went out on my trip from Seattle to Boulder. Did you ever have any service completed by them? They seem knowledgeable and well versed in 4x4 vans.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #8

Boulder Offroad has been highly recommended by 4x4-ing friends of mine but I haven't gotten around to dropping my van off for an initial consultation. (Small clunk when in 4x4 mode coming from my transfer case -- but we haven't been doing 4wheeling so we've been slacking about fixing it. With winter coming on I need to get my butt in gear).

I'd appreciate hearing your impressions of them.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #9

I will keep you posted.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #10

I've also used Pellman's for my 2005 SMB and our Audi Allroad with good results. For the more serious diesel work they recommended Keeter Trucking on Valmont Ave.
They did brake, both driveshafts, and Atlas transfer case seal work. good results.
Tom
05 Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote