Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #11

Re: Brand-Newbie has questions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv
Used Two wheel drive Sportsmobiles sell at what I consider very reasonable prices. Since you mentioned that 2WD would work for you, you might want to consider buying a used one. You could use it for a year and then decide whether to keep it or sell it and order a new one. By that time you would know what you need and don't need. My wife and I put off buying a new one for 4 or 5 years because we couldn't decide Diesel vs gas, RB vs EB, electric top vs manual top, etc. We finally bought a used one to see how we liked it. Still have it as it has been near perfect for our needs. It was a 2 wheel drive but I had it converted to 4x4 at Salem Kroger. On a side note, SK is one of the only places that have been successful at converting a Sprinter to 4X4. They said it was a challenge but with time they got through it. Anyway, I would suggest getting a used one first. oclv
Thanks,

That's actually where we began, and may well end up. I responded to an ad on Craigslist in Morro Bay (I think it's still available, btw ...) $18.5 for a 2002 with 200K miles. He had it checked out thouroughly and bought it from a freight company in Ohio with almost all of the mileage on it already, then had it converted at SMB. He says he's only taken 2 trips with it since the conversion. Tempting, but it would need some upgrades at SMB to meet our needs. The biggest being A/C (don't like the "hang a small A/C in the PH window" option. An after-market Danhard A/C requires quite the retrofit and almost $5k to do. Gotta rip out walls, etc.

Used would probably be the wise choice. Sometimes I'm not so wise, though ... Either way, we have some time. I check the ads on Craigslist nationally pretty much daily.

Brian

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
Site Team

Used Sprinter SMB conversion.

http://bend.craigslist.org/rvs/1346678174.html

Herb
Old 08-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #13

Thanks, Herb,

Looks like a nice vehicle, but I think we're probably more interested in a lower profile with a PH. Not positive though. I appreciate your looking for me.

Brian
Old 08-31-2009, 06:16 AM   #14

Hi Just a word from Europe where the Sprinter and future Fiat things might come from:
The emissions regulations are now more strict over the pond and therefore no particular engine mods should be undertaken. For an example the Ford E series diesels are not accepted anymore even as special import as they do not manage to comply with the latest diesel emission norms.

That being said most euro vans are somewhat underpowered apart from a few. The V6 sprinter is not bad and some VW vans are quite powerful but remember the high mileage you guys put on your vehicles due to greater distances and comfort of a low revving engine are second to none.

I drive quite a lot for European standards and I couldn't imagine a whizzing little TD engine with 2t (or more) to drag around... let alone go off road...

On the Sprinter front you should be ok for parts as the Merc version is basically one of the most popular van around over here... and seems gaining terrain fast in the US...

But as others have wisely said it is all very subjective...

Good luck with the choosing and designing
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian

BTW, we're not thinking 4x4. Not as fuel-efficient as we'd like.

Brian
If you're not interested in 4X4, the choice is simple. Sprinter is quieter, more comfortable, has better driving dynamics and fuel economy and is the clear choice. I wouldn't worry too much about parts availability as they are popular worldwide and even if Chrysler stops importing them, I would imagine Freightliner will continue to do so. I doubt Mercedes will let the Sprinter go away from US shores after the investment that's been made to bring it here.
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabman
The emissions regulations are now more strict over the pond and therefore no particular engine mods should be undertaken. For an example the Ford E series diesels are not accepted anymore even as special import as they do not manage to comply with the latest diesel emission norms.

On the Sprinter front you should be ok for parts as the Merc version is basically one of the most popular van around over here... and seems gaining terrain fast in the US...
I hope the former is true ... The way I think of the folks who regulate imports in the US is that they don't think they've done their jobs until they "modify" something. That usually requires some sort of breaking in period for said vehicle.

I hadn't thought about the latter statement. I appreciate the international perspective. My only real concern about Sprinters is that if MB ends up being the only service option, they charge through the nose for their gold-plated maintenance.

Do you think that the Iveco van would be a good SMB vehicle? Is it powerful enough?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 09-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #17

Hi

IVECO have itialian engines, which means they are GOOD! I would say they are also the best option for the Euro 4x4 van... but If I were in the US today I would go for a Ford or Chevy without hesitation. You have the expertise reliable mechanics and all the parts you need... and moreover the cheap fuel prices...

I mean even I here in Switzerland have a Chevy 5.7 gasser!!!! It has quality steel and good mechanicals, ok parts for us are expensive but it is worth it... and resale value is amazing!!! That is important too... What would a Merc (Alias Dodge Sprinter) go for second hand... and a ford???

Oh by the way have you seen the new IVECO Massif? (based on a Series III Land Rover...

http://www.massif.iveco.com/
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote