Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #1

Broke down in Idaho

7.3 with 210K swallowed a few pushrods and needs a new engine..... Don't know how don't know why but she's dead and I need a new engine.

As much as I hate to do it my Deisel mechanic tells me I should get the Ford reman and have the dealer install it so I'm looking for a Ford dealer that has a competent service department that knows their way around a diesel.

The van is in Buhl so Twinfalls or Bosie area makes the most sense but any recommendations would be much appreciated even if the recommendation is to stay away.

I need to make a decision pretty quick.

Thanks in advance.

Mountainair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Maybe reach out (PM) to Shenrie who's in Idaho, or CarringB who seems to know everyone in the Northwest.

Herb

BTW, sorry to hear about your engine problems, that really sucks.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #3

Garage
arg sorry to hear. if your stuck in buhl, I recommend hitting up cloverleaf creamery to pass a little time. in the meantime, let me make a few calls.

carringb is actually working in twinfalls right now.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #4

Dang!

I'm actually working in Buhl right now! Well not today, since I'm in Prineville at the moment. But most days I am!

Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for you, I haven't needed to visit any shops out here yet. But, if you need a ride, or possibly a tow, I can probably help out with that.

Shenrie probably knows shops out here the best.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #5

Also... there's not really any mountain passes out there. Just a short climb out of the canyon. What persuaded your pushrods to find their own direction?
Old 05-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #6
Site Team

You have two of the best forum resources in your corner now. Good luck.

Herb
Old 05-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #7

Garage
Ok, got messages out to a few people. I’ll update as I get responces.

From a boise diesel mechanic I highly trust, “MVP diesel is the only shop up there”

206 south, ID-24, Rupert, ID 83350
(208) 647-0116

From a fellow racer and good friend that lives in buhl, “Ah shit, 208-543-8000 cowdens automotive, Cody and Jenny cowden they’re good folks, if they can’t help they might know someone who can”

He also asked if you need help getting the rig someplace? Give me a call when you get a chance, 208.283.0122

I looked up on car-parts.com and there’s no motors in the junkyard grapevine listed, but I don’t have your van year either. I’d suggest checking that site as well with correct year. I looked for a 2000 van. There’s a handful in the northwest, but not many.

LQK is in twinfalls and can likely get a motor shipped there. they pretty much have a constant loop of trucks rolling through there.

still waiting to hear from a few local friends that are 7.3 enthusiasts as well.

h&h towing in cascade Idaho has a spare 7.3 motor. he was nice enough to sell me a vacuum pump off of it last fall when I was in a jam. not sure if the motor is for sale or not, but it cant hurt to call him if you get in a bind. (208) 382-5577
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the quick response everyone.

I rented a car and am back home in Bend now but hate to leave my rig in Buhl any longer than I have to. It's safe enough where it is but I need to get my rig back on the road asap.

I have been doing this drive between Bend OR and Logan UT 4 times a month for about 10yrs so I'm familiar with the road but never had an issue to need a mechanic before.

I believe an injector stuck open and dumped a bunch of fuel into the system, diluted the oil and must have wiped the cam to allow the pushrod drop.

Mega bummer and mega bucks to fix no doubt. I'm currently considering Lithia Ford in Bosie to do the work but that based on no more than the google reviews....
Old 05-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #9

Thanks, I'll call ya once I'm free.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #10

Lithia is a good choice IMO. They're a large network with competent tech, and they have good purchasing power for OEM parts.

That said... Call before you drop it off. I just checked the Ford parts website and it doesn't look like they have 7.3L remans anymore. Since they take bad blocks are core returns, they might just end remans when they run out of the spare blocks. I'm sure Lithia has other options, but if you're set on a Ford reman, you might be out of luck unless they have one one shelf already (which is a possibility).

Tags
7.3 diesel