Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #1

Busted Van / Busted Trip

So yesterday morning we started out on a 6 day trip to SE Oregon. We were about 20 miles into the mountains on the way to Redding and suddenly the speedometer went to zero.

Power was reduced and it shifted 'odd'. We pulled over and tinkered with it for a few minutes, looking for dangling wires or fluid leaks. Nothing.

We turned around and on the way back to the coast I had 'Check Engine' lit and the OD switch was blinking. The OD still functioned but you had to watch the tach to tell if it was on or off.

I checked the Scangauge and it had 3 codes. The first was P0500 = Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction. The next 2 codes were both P0000 = No code. I don't know what that means. Shutting down the engine and clearing the codes, it comes right back with the same codes and symptoms.

Hoping that it was just the sensor gone bad, we stopped at the parts store and got the sensor and then went to the lube shop - closest thing to a mechanic working on Saturday - and had it put in. The trip would have still been salvageable at that point but no go. Exact same symptoms persist.

So now it's wait until Monday and hope my mechanic can get to the bottom of it quickly so we can at least do a short trip to the local mountains.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem?

Old 04-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #2

Re: Busted Van / Busted Trip

Is it the sensor on the rear differential? Usually an easy and quick fix. My friends 01 7.3L Superduty had the same issues and was easily fixed by replacing it.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Some quick searching:

"p0500 is the rear diff speed sensor. Replace it, while its out clean all rust and dirt from its mounting surface. If you replace it and clean but still set the code it could have a wiring issue. Look close for broken or chaffed wires. "

"The hard shifting is a result of the P0500 code. When a code is stored for the transmission system the pressure in the transmission is set high by the PCM to protect the transmission. The solenoids, pump, and PCM are all in on this. Fixing the problem that caused the P0500 will fix the hard shifts. "

Good luck.

Herb

[EDIT: a number of people emphasized the cleaning of the rust and dirt from the mating surface]
Old 04-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #4

Update:

After spending $150 dinking around with the rear diff VSS I came to find out that the sensor on the rear end only informs the brake system.

The Vehicle Speed Sensor I'm having trouble with is on the transfer case. They pulled it off and spun it with an electric drill and got a reading on the speedometer. Then they peeked inside the hole and saw that the gear that it's supposed to engage with had shifted along the axis of it's shaft and no longer engaged the sensor.

It's starting to make sense. The transfer case was worked on the week before. He must have left out a spacer or retaining ring or something. Now the van is back with him to fix the problem.

BTW - It is possible to drop the transfer case without removing the 47g fuel tank. Thank god for small favors.

I've just been totally f**ked over by mechanics this month. Just prior to this fiasco, I had gone to the local GD Ford dealer for a special offer discount oil change. After trying to jerk me around with a mail in rebate instead of the low cash price they offered in their flyer I finally got the oil change. Still not a bargain. This mechanic pushed aside a heater hose and left it up against the fan belt. 600 miles later in LA, it finished cutting through the hose and started dripping coolant. So while everyone else was 4 wheeling through Death Valley, I was stuck in Glendale spending $500 to replace the hose.

I'll stop talking now.... My blood pressure's getting too high.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
So while everyone else was 4 wheeling through Death Valley, I was stuck in Glendale spending $500 to replace the hose.

Sorry to hear about the problems with mechanics.
Now I know why you didn't show up at the Trona Pinnacles. Hopefully the next trip.

Woody
Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
Update:

I've just been totally f**ked over by mechanics this month. Just prior to this fiasco, I had gone to the local GD Ford dealer for a special offer discount oil change. After trying to jerk me around with a mail in rebate instead of the low cash price they offered in their flyer I finally got the oil change. Still not a bargain. This mechanic pushed aside a heater hose and left it up against the fan belt. 600 miles later in LA, it finished cutting through the hose and started dripping coolant. So while everyone else was 4 wheeling through Death Valley, I was stuck in Glendale spending $500 to replace the hose.

I've been in the same boat as you more than once and was one of the reasons I was going to start a couple of threads:

Good auto shops and Poor auto shops
List the shops who have gave you good service on your van and rate them from 1-10
and
List the shops who have done poor service on your van and rate them from 1-10

That would be a sticky for members to respond to. At least it might help a few of us even if just to blow off some steam.

I just don't know how many people would respond. Usually most don't care until something happens, but when I'm broke down somewhere, it sure would be nice to see if I can have my rig towed a little further to a shop other members have had good luck with.

Thoughts?

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #7

I took delivery of my SMB December of 2009. Before that, I had read, on the forum, about owners having trouble with mechanics working on the vans, including dealers. That worried me about taking it into a dealer for servicing. So far I have been able to do all my servicing myself. What ever the maintenance manual says needs to be done I do it. If I am not sure how it's done, I use the forum, google and utube. I dread the day I have to take it into the dealer. I have taken it into Sportsmobile, twice. I have no problem with that.

Woody
Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #8

I don't have anything on my van that I can't fix. I rebuilt the motor myself and converted it to a auto tranny. No bells,no whistles. KISS
Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #9

I think we need to start a new thread call "911", The forum Cummins turbo Diesel Registry had such a thread for people on the road traveling that broke down an needed immediate help to solve their problem. I was impressed on the number of people offering to come help them and even let them stay in their homes.

Dave
unimogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasrandall
I don't have anything on my van that I can't fix. I rebuilt the motor myself and converted it to a auto tranny. No bells,no whistles. KISS
That's great for those who can, for those who have the tools, and for those times when you can get you vehicle back home, but it took me four hours just to replace my alternator in my 6.0...and it took two of use. KISS? Not even for the best mechanics/shops its been to. On the road I want in and out ASAP so I can get back to my valuable vacation I'm loosing. Some of the parts take days because some shops don't keep them in stock.
I just would rather pass by the crooks or idiots and take it to a good shop with good mechanics I can trust. Unfortunately I'm still under warrantee and many Ford dealerships plain suck. Been there done that. I'd feel better knowing that the place that is going to tear into my diesel is rated well, has good mechanics, and the parts are on hand.
But I know sometimes it just can't happen and I would rather it be done correctly rather than deal with poor workmanship.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote