Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2022, 10:21 AM   #11

I agree! Fix up the totalled SMB! That's a fantastic buy! Good opportunity to do a 2009+ front clip swap.

I don't think the Quigley system alone is worth much. Because of the way it attaches, it's kinda a PITA to swap. A rolling chassis however could be a good deal for the right person. But generally, by the time to get a used Quigley assembly swapped, you'd be in so much more time that an MG 4x4 kit would seem like a bargain (and have all the ride and drive benefits too).

Old 03-05-2022, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
At first glance that looks fixable to me?
103k on V10 is nothing.
What is stopping the repair even w salvage title?
Fixed that is at least $45k w salvage title.
Body swap or fix. Frame is not going to be damaged based on the pics.

Missing pieces like bumper and awning, etc? If not included, those are large $$ chunks.

Swapping RB to EB - lots of system pieces usable, the top but would be short at the back, same w the cabinets.
The current owner is nearing 90 years old and just doesn’t have the interest to deal with the repairs anymore. It was his daily driver and he’s just wanting to replace it. I’m lucky that’s he’s dealing with the insurance option of buying back the salvage for me.

The repair doesn’t look too bad to me, but I guess his body shop quoted him around 25k to repair it. He did say it was still running and driving fine from what he could tell.

There are no interior cabinets others than the small kitchen galley, which I’d probably not use. We have a big ol’ dometic that works perfect for us and I don’t foresee us needing the interior sink. The only interior bits and bobs I’m interested in are possible the rear bed, but even that isn’t really necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
The electronic system between the 03 and the 09 changed dramatically.

Things like power windows and locks would be fairly hard to adapt without major wire harness swapping.
A new CCV pop top is almost 16k.

The power windows and locks would stay in the 03. I have no interest in trying to switch any of that over. I’d only want the bolt on pieces, other than the penthouse. If the 4x4 was easily switchable, that may be something I’d be interested in as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Yep, a bit more when all is said and done on an EB.

I think keeping the shop workhorse as the workhorse and having the fixed SMB is the way to go.
I agree that this WOULD be the best option. However, we’ve already got too many vehicles and I can’t justify another ‘fun’ car. We’ve got a 64 VW bus that fits the ‘fun’ car, which is why I’d want the black 09 to fill the role of the daily workhorse with just a touch of fun for those occasional roadtrips and camping trips.

Maybe I could sell the 09, fix the SMB, and make it the workhorse. The EB is so nice for hauling plywood, metal sticks of metal/wood, etc. though and is definitely something I’d miss. I moved over to the EB from a RB and it’s gonna be tough to go back!
F&F Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:18 PM   #13

The reason the interior build out is so sparse is that was a "transformer" layout by Sportsmobile. Low cost and adaptable interior.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:54 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
The reason the interior build out is so sparse is that was a "transformer" layout by Sportsmobile. Low cost and adaptable interior.
Yep, had one and I really like the flexibility of the interior. All the rear are seats should be on quick release brackets, and the rear bed platform should be on quick release brackets as well. That said, the rear bed is not very large, and only someone about 5'7" or shorter can sleep widthwise across the van. Hopefully there's an upper penthouse bed as well.

SMB's Transformer flyer attached.

Herb
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sm_transformer_flyer.pdf (492.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-05-2022, 01:08 PM   #15
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Buying a salvaged SMB

Death by what looks like a Eucalyptus tree….that sucks!
That rig certainly adds up to well over $15K, but I’d have to agree, removing and swapping everything over is a huge undertaking and I’m not sure it’s worth it, as some of it just isn’t compatible, vs just fixing it up and swapping on a new front end.
But be forewarned, your girls might have something to say about the whole thing, especially the one sitting on the bike[emoji6]

As a side note, I might be interested in that sink/fridge cabinet if you end up getting it and parting it out. I’m assuming you’re out in CA, where abouts? I’ll be out there starting in pismo down to Ventura then on to Palm springs area in 2 weeks.

Is that a Weldtec kit on your rig? Like it? Having one installed on a project van I’m driving out there, looks good!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:54 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Not sure where interest lies at this point but as a former body shop owner I'd want to see quite a few more photos of the damaged area(s). Front right side door and its hinge pillar, the windshield area in the two upper corners, the cowl area just below the windshield. Those would be the minimum to get an idea what repairs would be needed to return this van to service.

I could foresee a new passenger's side inner structure, checking the A-pillars (both sides) to check for body squareness and of course the unseen damage yet to be discovered. (The existing inner structure might be repairable but time-wise cutting it out and welding in a salvage part would be "easier".)

If just the right side front corner was affected the damage is significant but certainly NOT to the degree the entire vehicle would be considered a total loss.

Glad to lend my eye if its helpful but some good information has already been posted so far.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote