Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #21

I would double check those gear ratios. At least on the older ones, Quigley pretty much always used 4.10s.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #22

the van is a 2014 e350 eb 5.4l v8 with quigley 4x4. It's got 1700 miles and is bone stock cargo van. No fancy bumpers or added weight, the back is completely bare. I don't plan to add much to it, I like the stock look of the exterior of the vans and won't add any ladder racks or roof racks or font bumper but I may down the line get a aluminess rear bumper. The interior would be finished walls and floor with a futon bed in the back that I can slide out. Simple and open. The guy said that the gearing was 3.73 with those 295 tires. I am going this weekend to test drive it and see it in person but other then pictures I don't know much about it. Any help would be great. Also I'm assuming paperwork from quigley would let me know what the gearing is. The Guy said quigley matches the stock gearing of the e350 van. I don't know much about that. Any input? Also what would be a good gearing or setup for that van? I don't really care about taking off speed I don't drive fast or drive around town much. Mostly on open road highways until I reach my destination so I'm looking at the best gearing for good gas milage and longevity of engine at 70ish mph highway speeds
Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #23

Check this:
Identify Your Ford Truck Axle From The Door Sticker

Or the tag on the differential..
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/mu...5_135655_2.png
Old 02-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #24

Thank you for that. I'm going to have him send me a picture of the door sticker so I could look it up. Does quigley match the stock axel gearing or do they do what's needed for the tires and rims put on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Old 02-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #25

Garage
I wouldn't want to run 295/65r18 on my stock 3.73 5.4.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #26

If you call Quigley and give them the VIN, they can tell you exactly what they did to it, including gear ratio, axle, etc. I called them on a 1996 van that I purchased and they still had the info on it.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #27

What gearing would be best for those tires? Or would it end up being best to just change tires if it came to that eventually?

And thank you I'll give quigley a call this afternoon and ask. That's good to know.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #28

4.10s would be good.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0ztkid21 View Post
I'm guessing you have a v10? That's a bummer for milage. I was hoping better then that but have heard many guys say that's the average with a few here and there getting as high as 13mpg.
Yes, I updated my post. I just realized when I'm posting via Tapatalk, my handle is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Really, total ride height (tire + suspension lift), and what's bolted the outside, have more affect than what motor it has.
A little more info to put things into perspective:

285/70/17 Goodyear DuraTrac tires
4.30 gearing (Quadvan 4x4)
Transferflow 47 gal tank
Aluminess Bumpers and roof rack.

I get the worse mileage in the summer running A/C and fishing basket up front full of firewood, 10 gals of extra water, Thule box on the roof, generator out back and fully loaded w/ fuel, water, camping gear etc. So you get the picture, my rig is tall and heavy.

I was hoping for 10mpg averages when I ordered my van but it is what it is. Now, this is my seconds SMB, I had a 2004 RB50 Quigley 6.0 PSD and rarely got over 13.5. I mostly saw 11.5-13. The only thing I've consistently gotten is lower mileage on both vans than what most people have reported. But nobody said these things were grocery getters.

Digging the cheap fuel right now, time for a road trip.
Attached Thumbnails
NewSMB.jpg  
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #30

Haha I hear what your saying! My 05 6.0 quigley 4x4 285 75r16 rigged very basic with 1/2" ply walls and a futon bed slid in the back got an average of 15 mpg on most of my trips. Most highway driving then a little through town to my destination. Parked for a week/weekend then back home. My best with my rig was 16.8 mpg. I have a scangauge but it always reads off, I always reset my trip tracker on my dash and divide milage by the amount of fuel I put into the tank so it's a very accurate reading. I don't mind so much about the gas milage as I do the longevity of the engine.
But thanks for the info very informative listing everything your running to get a perfect idea of the setup and milage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridintall View Post
Yes, I updated my post. I just realized when I'm posting via Tapatalk, my handle is different.

A little more info to put things into perspective:

285/70/17 Goodyear DuraTrac tires
4.30 gearing (Quadvan 4x4)
Transferflow 47 gal tank
Aluminess Bumpers and roof rack.

I get the worse mileage in the summer running A/C and fishing basket up front full of firewood, 10 gals of extra water, Thule box on the roof, generator out back and fully loaded w/ fuel, water, camping gear etc. So you get the picture, my rig is tall and heavy.

I was hoping for 10mpg averages when I ordered my van but it is what it is. Now, this is my seconds SMB, I had a 2004 RB50 Quigley 6.0 PSD and rarely got over 13.5. I mostly saw 11.5-13. The only thing I've consistently gotten is lower mileage on both vans than what most people have reported. But nobody said these things were grocery getters.

Digging the cheap fuel right now, time for a road trip.