Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2021, 10:51 PM   #1

Buying Sight Unseen

My wife and I have been looking at SMBs for a while. We finally found a used one that could suit our needs. Unfortunately we are not able to go see it. We are going to have to rely on the video walk through and mechanic report to make our final decision. I am pretty familiar with SMBs, my dad had one when I was a kid that we would use for camping and surf trips.

Has anyone else purchased their SMB sight unseen? How did it go?

Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:21 AM   #2

Garage
got ours sight unseen in augusta georgia. had plane tickets in case the rig wasn’t as advertised, but ended up driving 2500 miles back home with it. other than blitzing out on 5-hour energy’s to stay awake, it was a drama free trek home. only one wrong turn in kansas due to the morning rush hour. other than that we’ve been happy campers since 2012
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:00 AM   #3

Garage
Not many to choose from near me either. Purchased mine through professional wildlife photographers in Santa Cruz. I had the benefit of knowing the seller's work and what could possibly go wrong purchasing from a previous National Park Ranger and his wife? I felt comfortable enough to forego a mechanical inspection and in my case, everything worked out great. It was the sellers that were doing most of the checking on my credentials even after receiving a $5000 deposit.

The fact that you're already familiar with SMBs should be a tremendous help with your purchase. At least you know what features are most important to have and common issues to look out for.

Best of luck!
Old 03-12-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
Site Team

A plane ticket, even round trip, is cheaper than buying the wrong vehicle.

Herb
Old 03-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #5

Worth a trip. Lots of things to go over/check out and what's minor to someone else might be major to you. And it allows you to get a sense of the seller. I flew from San Diego up to Seattle this week, drove 2 hours to my lake cabin, spent the night, drove another 2 hours to Port Angeles, WA to check out a SMB. Well worth the trip and I'm a proud new owner.

Now just have to fly back up there so I can drive it home!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4102.jpg  
Old 03-12-2021, 02:26 PM   #6

I've purchased two vehicles sight unseen, one of which was a sportsmobile. You can really get a sense of honesty when you talk to the seller on the phone. Ask questions about everything and if they only have quick, short answers, I usually walk away. If they're willing to have a conversation with you and go into detail about the van, then you can get the sense that they aren't trying to pull a fast one.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
A plane ticket, even round trip, is cheaper than buying the wrong vehicle.
Herb
You really only end out having to live with yourself on the decision to buy...no guarantee (other than the obvious) when you buy a vehicle either way.

BUT, a personal inspection offers the ability to validate seller claims...that alone provides a sense of the seller (true & honest, or full of BS) and may also instill some confidence.
The availability of Maintenance & Repair receipts should play a big role in your assessment. Again, speaks to the commitment of the owner and to a degree the likely condition of the drive train and other mechanical equipment.
To BroncoHaulers point, I'd also suggest spending a little on travel since these are/can be a real investment.

EDIT: I had written this earlier but had to walk away before I finished, then just sent it - I think it says something when so many here refer to "sense of the seller"... funny how many of us have enough history that seems to warrant inspecting the seller as much as whatever it happens to be that we're buying - living proof of "buyer beware"
Old 03-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #8

The term I use is 'shop sellers'. I always shop sellers. You can tell a lot by subtle things people say on the phone, by the background of their pics, etc.

Alway shop sellers.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #9

Garage
I’m with 86Scotty, I shop sellers these days as well.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:53 PM   #10

From a buyer perspective - I bought mine off a few basic, poor quality pics on this very site with little info. Owner was buying a new SMB so gave him some character credit. Both former military didn't hurt. I flew from Seattle to Salt Lake, jumped in a car with a buddy and drove 2 hours to meet the seller who drove two towards us. Drove, crawled over, under, played with every button, stick and fluid...paid and drove home. Never looked back.

From a Seller Perspective - Currently selling and it has been a mess. Mainly Craigslist people/scam issues taking up my time but: One buyer didn't really have the $'s he said. Many hours spent but now I ask more ?'s up front.
One forum seller PM'd and said he dealt with dreamer after dreamer before a legit buyer. I now feel his pain.
Another buyer had the funds and all the interest but had trouble finalizing. Constant schedule changes, stories, etc. I had offered to drive 18 hours for delivery for only a $2,500 deposit. Also offered to meet halfway and fly home to ease their travel time since I can work from anywhere. Two-three weeks of back-forth all the way to a final payment method and they hit me with an "almost believable story" two days before the sale and I am starting over.

I would say sight unseen would be tough for both sides but we do business every day over zoom now so ??
For the investment if you absolutely cannot travel hire an "independent", respected third party from the local 4X4 or RV shop if you can't find a SMB Forum Pal in the neighborhood to check it out for you. I would do it within reasonable miles just to see what goodies another SMB has and to chat toys with the owner.
treadco is offline   Reply With Quote