Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2022, 11:27 AM   #11

grateful that I dont have a sportsmobile top, first thing I did with my CCV top was replace all the carriage bolts to stronger bolts with nylon locking nuts

Lcavalletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:08 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcavalletti View Post
grateful that I dont have a sportsmobile top, first thing I did with my CCV top was replace all the carriage bolts to stronger bolts with nylon locking nuts
Not intending to be crass, but confused why then "grateful that I don't have a sportsmobile top" since it sounds like you were as concerned with your CCV set-up that you felt compelled to replace the same ?
Old 10-03-2022, 02:21 PM   #13

I purchased my vehicle with a CCV high top, replaced the bolts with stronger shoulder bolts and nylon locking nuts for a piece of mind, not becuase they failed, but my hardware was better quality that what they used. Being as they are a critical component I thought it was a good idea.

I like my CCV top better than the sportsmobile tops, they are less restricting, stronger actuators, beefier design, and they dont sway in the wind, and I am thankful for that. If I were ever looking to replace a sportsmobile top or add a pop top I would only look at CCV. just stating my opinion
Old 10-03-2022, 02:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcavalletti View Post
I purchased my vehicle with a CCV high top, replaced the bolts with stronger shoulder bolts and nylon locking nuts for a piece of mind, not becuase they failed, but my hardware was better quality that what they used. Being as they are a critical component I thought it was a good idea.

I like my CCV top better than the sportsmobile tops, they are less restricting, stronger actuators, beefier design, and they dont sway in the wind, and I am thankful for that. If I were ever looking to replace a sportsmobile top or add a pop top I would only look at CCV. just stating my opinion

You do realize this is the SPORTSMOBILE forum, right? [emoji848]
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:44 PM   #15

Garage
Ha, had no intent on sparking any controversy. Point in fact, we've been contemplating switching to CCV - Not because we don't like the Sportsmobile design, but because they only offer one option. I'm attracted to CCV because I really like the high-top pop top they offer, along with the fact it encompasses the entire roof space (added storage space!).
As far as interior space (height & width) between the two, I have no complaint with what I have, so any gain will only fall short in impressing me. The added space & interior standing height when 'down' are certainly appealing.
A 'beefier design' is only beneficial when your exposure remains under their limits (and you have no control over that) - any way you spin it, when 'up' they are both vulnerable - disappointment is merely the reflection of one slightly stronger gust you didn't anticipate.
I only questioned the replacement of the CCV bolts because we've been considering the swap - I was under the impression their design was already more robust...and still believe this to be the case from conversations I've already had with others.
The clarity came when you stated 'piece of mind', that motivation I understand - I've replaced/upgraded a lot of mechanical components that hadn't actually failed for the same reason.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:02 PM   #16

Can a person support the top with 2x4's in the corners and ratchet strap the cross bars together to be able to replace the pivot bolts ONLY ??
tortorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:06 PM   #17

My CCV was an early generation ( 2011) I believe they have changed the strut hardware now to much better than it used to be. Mine where standard galvanized carriage bolts, I switched to stronger shoulder bolts.

As far as stronger in wind. My friends brand new Field Van pop top sways in the wind 6 inches either side, especially if you try to push it once up, Also it wont go up when he puts more than a few surf boards on top.

In contrast,

My CCV doesnt sway at all in wind and I have put almost 300 pounds on the roof and the actuators dont complain at all.

Which would you rather have?
Old 10-03-2022, 04:56 PM   #18

Yes, early CCV installs did not use shoulder bolts. Shoulder bolts have been used for at least the past four or five years. 2011 would be one the very, very early tops!

The improvements that CCV has made along the way are really great. Our medium top had the stronger shoulder bolt upgrade done. Our switch to the High profile top has the shoulder bolts and the other new mods. One nice new feature is replaceable screens for the windows.

If anyone is is interested in a CCV top for any of the vans we do, please PM me or contact me at cs@BlingMyRig.com - happy to help. Also, happy to share our experiences!
Old 10-03-2022, 05:21 PM   #19

@ Ray, Im like a big moving advertisement for CCV, I should put a vinyl wrap on my van and maybe they will send me marketing checks. lol
Old 10-03-2022, 09:03 PM   #20

Garage
Tortorelli, my question now, too. If that's all it takes...
Makalu1 is offline   Reply With Quote