Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #1

CCV Pop-tops: High vs. Mid

Recently picked up a 2007 E350 Quigley passenger van (RB). Still has the stock interior as was used as family vehicle until I bought it. I'll be working on a conversion over the next year or so.

Intended step 1 is to have a pop-top put on, and I'm leaning toward CCV. They have a "mid" option and a "high" option. The high option appears to add about a foot in height and I'm told allows a person of average height to stand up inside even with the top down. I like that, but I'm also curious if others here have had the opportunity to compare/contrast these two CCV options in other respects?

Any thoughts welcome.

VantheDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #2

I don't own a CCV top, but visited CCV a few weeks ago, toured the shop and walked inside E350s with mid and high tops. My personal aesthetic preference is for the mid top for the simple form. I'm not a fan of the profile of the high top. But that's appearances only. There's a noticeable difference in the added space of the high top. I'm about 5' 8" with shoes on and could easily stand up with high top down in the open section. Lots of storage up there too. The mid top had a little added headroom in the open section but not enough for me to stand up. The added storage was minimal--I think you could fit bedding up there. A pop top is in my future and if based purely on functionality alone, I would go high top. One other thought--before you pull the trigger, inquire about the open space that is created to see how much extra headroom you get front to back because there may be a difference in how much roof is taken out in an RB v. EB. I had looked at EB. I know there are a number of forum members who own CCV tops and can provide more in-depth feedback.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #3

We had a CCV high top installed this spring and we had the same debate. The looks of the mid top were certainly nice but the functionality of the hightop is what sold us. There is room above the cab to stow a bit of gear. There is plenty of room above the bed to keep bedding installed. We also stow the ladder up there with no issue. There is approx 4-5 inches of room above the bedding to the headliner. we opted for the partial roof cut out rather than the full to retain more of the original structure. We can take the new removable panels out and stow them on the aft section of the bed for more usable headroom on the road (haven't needed to but its possible). For once in my life I made a decision based on function over looks. I was proud of myself.
04QuadBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #4

Thank you, Smoker. Thank you, QuadBear. Both very helpful perspectives. I agree with you both on the aesthetics of the high top...I'm just not crazy about it. But the extra storage and the headspace are hard to turn down.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
One other thought--before you pull the trigger, inquire about the open space that is created to see how much extra headroom you get front to back because there may be a difference in how much roof is taken out in an RB v. EB. I had looked at EB. I know there are a number of forum members who own CCV tops and can provide more in-depth feedback.
Thanks for that...Yeah they do offer a "large cut roof opening" option, which is supposed to provide more space (?) but I'm not sure I totally understand it if the bed is more or less flush with the ceiling anyway. I'll look into that.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04QuadBear View Post
For once in my life I made a decision based on function over looks. I was proud of myself.
I kinda lean the same way...Funny that it's van ownership that's finally forcing responsible decision making...
Old 09-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantheDan View Post
I kinda lean the same way...Funny that it's van ownership that's finally forcing responsible decision making...
I was totally set on mid top for its looks until we arrived at CCV and walked in a couple with each style top. It was a no brainer for the high top once we got inside one. It still looked massive after we picked it up. After having it for a while and a few long trips I couldn't be happier about my choice. depeneding on where you are located I bet there are some members near you that you could get in one and see for yourself. If you are in the northwest I would be happy to meet you.
04QuadBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04QuadBear View Post
...For once in my life I made a decision based on function over looks. I was proud of myself.
this struggle is real and I deal with it often. hopefully someday I can follow your lead.

I waited until the first high top was available before ordering but the looks kept me from ordering that particular top... that an I don't like having the first of anything. instead, I got the last of the fiberine tops Derek offered. im happy with our top though. wife can walk around np, but I have to just barely duck my head being 5'11. I seem to be getting shorter though. im sure in a few more years I will be able to stand up without ducking, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #9

As everyone said, it's a struggle. Cutting a giant hole in the roof of your van and spending 10K makes one think twice (or a whole lot more, ha, ha). I ended up going with the CCV high top in the end. Yes, it's kind of fugly but I'm definitely a function over form kind of person. As soon as I started using it I've never looked back. I love all the extra space to store things including the space in front. I'm 6' 3" and I'm comfortable moving around with the top down. With the top up the space is HUGE. After a couple of good road trips including a three week trip to WY/MT I'm still very happy with it.
Besides, after you put all the other goodies on it you don't notice the top so much, ha, ha.
Attached Thumbnails
CCV_Top.JPG  
Wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #10

I have an RB with a mid top. Ordered the high top.
Definitely wish I got the high top.
In an RB van especially, the storage space is at a premium, and the extra in the high top would be nice.
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote