Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #11
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Re: Change in Administration

Hey all, Jeremiah, a big thank you for all you've done here with providing a common place where we could all gather, discuss and learn, I think I speak for all of us when I say it's truly been an invaluable resource. It's been great to watch this community grow with new members and Alex, Lake and I have also thoroughly enjoyed meeting many of you at various gatherings over the years and I hope that we can continue bringing that aspect safely into the new forum. That being said, I have many of the same Q's as BrianW, and I'm sure many others are wondering, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Andy, welcome by the way, what are some of the other forums you own? And I guess it's fair to ask, since most of our info is out there, where do you call home? BTW, I received a notice from paypal that my annual donation has been cancelled, do I need to take further steps with paypal to cancel it into the future as it was on auto pay? See you all on the flip......

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
Jage, thanks for keeping the forum going over the years! It is a great place to get info and share. Thank again for your time and effort.
+10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I was just looking at what I assume is one of your other sites, http://www.airforums.com/forums/, and there are a LOT of ads. Wow.
Wow is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I'll be very curious what it takes to continue to access ad free. In my opinion that is what has kept this forum as good as it is.
Completely agree.. the problem with the optional ad-free is the community can stagnate as new users who might be drawn to it are turned off, and don't become the 'power' user that wants to pay for ad-free. At least in my case. I don't participate in any forums with a strong ad presence, but I do donate.

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised that you didn't approach the SMB community first if you were interested in selling or otherwise getting out of the forum business. It would have been nice to give the current members a heads-up and the opportunity to keep ownership within the community
Agreed, and if nothing else, potentially gets Jage more money. Two bidders better than one. That said, it's Jage's sandbox, and his to do with as he pleases.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #13

P.S. Turning off PMs so we can't communicate about this privately leaves a bad taste.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Will you be offering "enhanced" services similar to what you have on the Airstream forum [ http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138/ai ... 20812.html ]
Are the never-ending "subscribe to" pop ups one of the services?

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #15

Jage - thanks for all you've done here. This forum has not only been a great technical resource, but the folks here are always so kind and civil and willing to share their passion. Thanks to the members for creating such an inviting environment around here. I hope that feel remains the same, or I'll just have to make a point of hanging out with more of you in person I guess!
Old 05-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #16

Great community and stellar forum.

Thanks for all you have done to further the cause Jage and thanks to AndyR for picking up the torch. I'm on a lot of forums and this one is top-notch and I attribute that to the folks that have run it and have helped as admins to keep the spam and info vampires at bay.

I'd like to continue to contribute to support the forum with an annual subscription if that's possible.

Joe
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
P.S. Turning off PMs so we can't communicate about this privately leaves a bad taste.
No PM here either.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Agreed.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #19
Site Team

If you all are having any technical issues, my apologies. We have been working with the web host to get a complete backup of the site but the hosting account doesn't have any more room for us to save the backup. Jage sent me the login to the web hosts system but it's not working and the password reset is not sending me a link. He's out until this afternoon so we are stuck for a bit until we can resolve the issues with the current host.

@rallypanam - We didn't change anything with the PM system, not planning to either. If there are errors it might be caused by the above. We'll resolve them ASAP. Also, please try again as PMs should be working fine. I sent a few already today. Report back if they work please.

@BrianW - We would like to move the site over to vBulletin as it offers many more features. It's a platform that most folks will recognize from other forums. One feature that I would like to add is a Garage system so members can post photos of their van. You can see an example on Defender Source:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/registry/

Airstream Forums does have a lot of ads. All of the button ads (300x100) on the side are endemic advertisers who sell parts/services focused at Airstream owners. Some are also internal advertisements to buy AIR Forums flags or buy a book that a member published. A couple of them on each page are for Airstream events like rallies & meetups. The idea is that we can promote the meetups and get more people connecting offline, that's a good thing.

We'll offer an upgraded account that allows for turning off the Google ads and/or the endemic sponsor ads. People who donated in the past will get a free upgrade. I'm also going to talk to the team about how we can identify our long standing top contributors who might not have donated in the past and give them a free upgrade to say thanks for helping make this site great.

As for the pop-up on AIR Forums, that is set to hide on a cookie and show once every 3 months. Members have the ability to turn it off in their control panel so they never see it again. It works wonderfully to send people an update on what's going on at the forums and helps the forums be more vibrant by bringing people back. Basically it's just an RSS of new threads to email and surprisingly people who sign up love it that we get complaints if there is a glitch and it does not go out one day.

I think Defender Source is a good site to see the layout of ads. We don't have any endemic (niche) sponsors on that site. I've been running it for a few years. At some point we might. Same thing here. I'm not going to go out and push to find niche advertisers but if some really want to advertise then we'll try to find a way to work with them.

BrianW also asked about what other forums I own. You can see a list on my website which is http://www.SocialKnowledge.com. I never actually intended to start a forum company. I just ran Airstream Forums and one day I ran across a site that had an announcement that it was going to be shut down unless someone made an offer to the owner. It was on a topic which I have no interest (unlike this forum, I enjoy reading the builds and the vans a lot). I worked with the team allowing them to be the subject matter experts and I was able to provide software support and keep the site running. A couple weeks later that same forum owner came back to me saying he had another fairly big forum he wanted to sell. All of a sudden I went from one forum to three forums and I became fascinated in how forums work and finding tools to add more value to them. It was at that point I packed up my stuff and headed on my journey slowly acquiring one site every few months.

Social Knowledge has grown into a lot of sites but I take great pride in the way we manage them and the fact that our members are happy. I know there are a couple of really large forum networks (100x bigger than my company) that are faceless giants. Social Knowledge has grown, I'll admit that but we are still a small company that takes a very personal approach to working with our communities.

Keep the questions coming, it's the best way for us to all be on the same page.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #20
Site Team

FYI - Rather than wait until tonight to connect with Jage and try to resolve the issues on the current web host we are going to move the site here in a few minutes. I posted a little more information on this here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16169
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote