Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #1

Charge the house battery with 120v battery charger?

Hola! Does anyone have a way that they charge their house battery without shore power/alternator/inverter/solar/etc...

My van has been sitting and when I plug it into shore power the Xantrex fires up and gives me the lights that it is charging the house battery. After 15 minutes or so it clicks over to "float" (ie...saying the battery is fully charged) when I know that it is not charged, because the second I unplug shore power the battery is dead. The house battery is oldddddddd as well.

I want to attach my NOCO Genius charger directly to the house battery and try the "repair mode" to see if I can get enough of a charge in there to actually charge the battery before load testing it.

Any suggestions on how to charge the house battery with a plug in charger without having to disconnect and drop that beast from its mount. I have been under the van and am not seeing any positive/negative terminals outside of the massive house battery box.

Thanks!

clicker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:13 PM   #2

Most likely your house battery is done. Adding any type of charger won't help. Dead batteries come up to full voltage almost immediately when on a charger, but have no reserve capacity. Time to replace it.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:27 PM   #3

Great knowledge. Thank you for the response!
Old 09-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
If you trace the battery leads (on a standard factory SMB build) from the house battery, it should go to either a standoff lug or the separator. Sometimes there is an inline fuse but not always depending on the year built.

The problem is you're saying the battery is dead. Normally you could attach a charger at the lug or separator on the house side. But with a dead battery it would be best to isolate from the van's 12v system to try to bring it back to life. A high amp charge on some types of batteries like wet cells can produce heat if the battery is dead. Bringing a battery back to life depends on the type battery, its age, how long it sat dead and a few other factors. If you plan to do a high amp charge, I'd suggest pulling the battery. As you mention, some of those little battery tenders have a rejuvenate feature but in most cases they don't do much if the battery has already gone south. It might charge but deplete much faster than a good battery. With an AGM, equalizing might be possible but that generally applies to weak batteries, not those discharged for long periods of time. By what you said about the battery, it does sound like an AGM but I'm just guessing.

https://lifelinebatteries.com/2015/1...agm-batteries/

https://lifelinebatteries.com/faq-items/

Lastly you should look at the connections. Anytime I have battery problems I always check the connections before jumping to conclusions. After that you can pull the battery, bench charge it at a fairly high amp setting, and then do a load test. I had my van at a Ford dealership and I left the fridge on by mistake. It took my 2 Lifeline 4D batteries down to 9 volts. My inverter charger was able to bring them back thankfully. Lifeline said to charge them with at least 15 amps for a couple of days.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:38 PM   #5

I agree. That's exactly what happens when you try to charge a bad battery. That said... Make sure the terminals are clean and tight too. Last trip I started the first night with nearly-dead trailer batteries. I stopped at les schwab for new batts but their tester revealed they were fine! They just weren't charging from the converter or alternator because on battery had a loose terminal. Tightened that up, drove 6 hours, and had a full charge!
Old 09-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #6

Right on! I am going to pull the battery and see what I am working with. Fingers crossed I can bring it back to life.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #7

That's all good advice. I based my opinion on the fact you mentioned that "The house battery is oldddddddd" and the fact that it had been sitting. When you do drop the battery, a floor jack and some wood blocks will be a big help. You didn't mention if it's a diesel, but if there is a second start battery, you don't want to pull the mounting bolts all the way out so you can leave the second battery attached. The house battery box mounting tabs should be slotted.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery charging, house battery