Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2022, 05:51 PM   #1

Question Charging House Battery without Driving?

Hello

I just replace House (Cabin) Battery (FullRiver DC210-12).

Is there a way I can fully charge this new battery without having to drive?

I thought that plugging the van's appliance socket into my home 110 would do the trick.

However, nothing.

Recommendations?

Old 08-13-2022, 06:15 PM   #2

do you have a connection for shore power? if so, plugging in should accomplish the charge
Attached Thumbnails
shore_power.jpg  
Old 08-14-2022, 07:12 AM   #3

Did you flip on the breakers? You should have a panel somewhere inside. You’ll need to flip on “main” and probably a circuit for outlets before 110V is supplied to the ac-dc charger.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:49 AM   #4

Also verify your home outlet is providing power, by plugging in something else. Outdoor/garage outlets tend to flip their circuit breakers easily and without being noticed, since they're often on their own circuit and rarely used.
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:28 AM   #5

First things first - Is there a battery charger in the system? Some SMB builds I have seen with shore power do not have a charger. The shore power is connected to the main panel and the in-cabin plugs are connected to that panel. If the main panel has a charger or converter label on one of the plugs then there should be (or was) a charger included in the build.

An inverter can be present w/o a charging feature. All it does is provide 120v to the 120VAC receptacles when on by inverting 12 vdc from the battery to 120vac supplied to the cabin plugs.

You may find a Battery Wizard or a converter near the house battery location. These would be SMB types of chargers they installed.

Do you have an inverter? Type / model#?
The 4D Battery mounted passenger side frame, behind the differential, or ?!

A picture of the battery installation area, fuse panel, Shore power main switch panel could help us get you connected.

Jeff, feel free to call me, too .
Old 08-14-2022, 09:05 AM   #6

Garage
My rig had a GFCI outlet, fed by shore power, that the charger plugged into. If that outlet is tripped or defective the charger won't work. I had to replace the outlet in my van.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:44 PM   #7

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
First things first - Is there a battery charger in the system? Some SMB builds I have seen with shore power do not have a charger. The shore power is connected to the main panel and the in-cabin plugs are connected to that panel. If the main panel has a charger or converter label on one of the plugs then there should be (or was) a charger included in the build.
Not certain, attached SMB House electrical photos as suggested

Quote:
An inverter can be present w/o a charging feature. All it does is provide 120v to the 120VAC receptacles when on by inverting 12 vdc from the battery to 120vac supplied to the cabin plugs.
Quote:
You may find a Battery Wizard or a converter near the house battery location. These would be SMB types of chargers they installed.
I am not seeing any additional device in the undercarriage near the newly installed house battery.

Quote:
Do you have an inverter? Type / model#?
The 4D Battery mounted passenger side frame, behind the differential, or ?!

A picture of the battery installation area, fuse panel, Shore power main switch panel could help us get you connected.
All photos taken have been attached to this reply.
Thank you
Old 08-14-2022, 02:14 PM   #8

I suspect that you have 12 volt converter such as a PD 9100, the plug you show going into the (bluebox) outlet is probably for it. That is a GFIC outlet so check if it needs to be reset. The PD9100 will look something like this:

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:55 PM   #9

You need to dig through that whole van and create your own complete electrical diagram including every device if you weren't given one when you bought it. Then you can look up the model numbers and figure out what you own and if the appliances are even still working. That even looks like it has been jerry-rigged by the prior owner. I doubt SMB left a loose blue electrical box like that. That would then be a good time to do some cleaning. That thing looks dirty. I think you have your hands full.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:47 PM   #10

Nothing in that doesn't look like SMB quality to me. Here is a matching SMB diagram.

You can also find kinks to three different years SMB manuals here:https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...nuals-116.html

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery charging