Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #1

Cheap accesories-tire carrier and ladder

I know that Aluminess (and similar) are very popular. However, I am somewhat financially constrained and simply don't have very high expectations for a tire carrier and ladder. I'd like the tire carrier to carry the tire and the ladder to hold my weight when I need up top.

My SMB will never be a big, majestic 4wd, diesel, just a fancy van for camping, sailing trips, and light offroad (Mostly sand and mud-not rocks. Limited slip is plenty of off road capability for me.). I'm ok with this. I bought old and used and paid cash. I plan to keep it running for 10 years and about 75,000 more miles.

Am I making a mistake by going with the $100-200 versions of the ladder and swing away tire carrier? The ladder I'm looking at seems to hang from the back door and the tire carrier looks like it bolts in the door frame.

Do these cause problems? Ruin the doors? Fall apart? Weigh too much?

I don't want to buy junk or something that will damage the van, I just need some basic utility out ot these items.

I don't mean to offend those with the super nice rigs. I'd love a $90,000 rig. I just need some nuts and bolts advice before I begin accessorizing.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #2

Re: Cheap accesories-tire carrier and ladder

Aluminess has a tire carrier that attaches to the standard bumper, but works like the one on the full bumper. Personally I would go with that over anything that attaches to the van itself. Of course you're not hanging big fat mud tires off it either, but I'd save in other areas.

The door ladder on the other hand should be easily obtainable. In fact they seem common enough I would think watching the junkyards would turn up something reasonable. You can also make your own... I guess that's if you compare your weight + things you'll load to your fabrication skills, but if you want a less expensive side ladder that might be the way to go. Try the search above, there is a post on a homemade ladder somewhere.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #3

I agree with Jage. Even a smaller tire and wheel weighs a lot. Hanging it on one of the door carrier types is looking for trouble in the future. Even a little driving down a rough road puts a lot of stress on the attachment points. Good luck with the project.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #4

There is nothing wrong with the less expensive ladders. You can buy them from JC Whitney:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Surco-Ladders/ ... 018335.jcw

As far as an inexpensive tire mount - I'd have to stay with the factory mount under the van. It works, it is cheap. You just need to check the cable and make sure it is not breaking strands.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Hi Tom,

I'm about 220 lbs. and I can vouch for the Aluminess Ladder's strength. The Ladder carries myself and our Honda 2000 Generator when I'm placing it on our roof rack without feeling unsafe. It just feels great to have something sturdy under your feet when loading a 30-40 lbs equipment plus your weight.

Regarding the tire carrier. Aluminess makes the strongest carrier IMHO. We have a 35" tire on our carrier with out any problems. Also it looks cool

One last important thing, Aluminess Products make sure the customer is happy! This is the reason why they have such a strong following. I always believe in the saying,"You get what you pay for!"

Just my 2cents. Good luck!

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #6

The less expensive door mount ladders work just fine. I used to have one.

Just make it clear to anyone traveling with you not to climb the ladder with the door open. The hinges may not take the weight if the door is open. If it is closed, not a problem. I recommend putting the ladder on the driver side rear door. It has latches top and bottom, so it can support more weight.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #7

Thanks all.

Sounds like the ladder may work but the tire needs to stay under the van until I can afford the aluminess. That's to bad, I need the storage space.

I've got a 2 inch draw tite hitch under the van and a 5000 bumper hitch. I plan on pulling a light boat (less than approx 1000 lbs total/150 tongue) with the bumper hitch so I can't use a cargo carrier on the draw tite hitch.

It may be time to start looking at roof racks....

Tom
Old 05-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #8

Tom, if you have a front hitch reciever, you can get a spare tire carrier that fits in the reciever, and carry the tire in front. Check out www.etrailer.com

Tom
Old 05-07-2009, 06:17 AM   #9

Hey everyone, am new to forum thought I would throw in my 2 cents. To bluedog225, I have a 95 E250 Sportsmobile Contempo top, w/ 144000 mi., 351W, 373 rear posi. Bought it 2 years ago and have enjoyed every day. Lovenly maintained and EVERYTHING still works, and is in really great cond, body and mech., had and still has minor rear main seal leak but burns no oil and when I say leak I mean about 1 or 2 oz. every thousand. Sportsmobile Austin owner built it for his stepmother. Looks to have been garage kept most of its life and still is today. Have original 2.8 Onan which by the way runs like new "98 hrs,", so they put the spare on the drivers side door. Been there since day one, attached w/ 4 bolts through the door. Tire is LT225R16 E rated, no rattles, squeeks, and door is still perfectly alligned with no signs of stress on the hinges. Ladder hooks over the top of passenger side door and is bolted at the bottom. I only weigh 175 so it's never been a problem for me to climb on it. Sorry to ramble on but I really and truely love my Sportsmobile. An amazing vehicle for sure. Great forum, and great members, Thanks
bobbyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:19 AM   #10

Thanks Bobby. Sounds like a similar rig. Are you saying it bolts through door with no separate swing away cage? is there a bracket? Pics would be great.

Tom