Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2009, 05:49 AM   #11

Re: Check your Progressive Policy!

MIkewTV said:
Quote:
I wonder if the manual PH works better than the electric when below sea level?
The manual penthouse top is a little more difficult to open below sea level, in Death Valley at -250 feet below sea level to be exact. There's a lot of atmosphere pressing down on the top!

Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I also learned I cannot go ice fishing from the comfort of my SMB. Well I can, but it won't be covered. I would love to hear exactly why they came up with that particular clause...
I'll bet Progressive was the insurer on this van:
http://www.b-roll.net/today/2007/01/liv ... rough-ice/

Or many of these trucks:
http://www.flatlake.com/Sunken%20Vehicles.htm
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #13

Check your Progressive Policy!

Gosh I hate to bring this one up...but knowledge is power.

Check your auto policy and make sure you're covered whilst off a paved road. Many, dare I say most, auto policies are void if you travel off the pavement.

Same silly coverage rules go for your dogs at home. My homeowner's policy wouldn't cover my dog because it was a Stafordshire Bull Terrier. The agent said that breed was a "pit bull". I countered that it was an AKC purebred show dog and sent her photocopies of his show ribbons. They didn't care. So the agent then suggested that I call it it a mixed breed terrier. Sorry, ain't doing that.

I finally found an agent/company that would cover the dog and didn't ask me to lie about it.

When dealing with insurance companies, forewarned is forearmed. Shop hard and make sure they know all about your vehicle and its use. And make sure their promises are IN WRITING! If you ever wind up in court because the insurance company won't cover your loss, if it ain't in writing, it's not covered!
Bugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #14

Just an update, on June 18th, Progressive called and asked Kim if the stated amount of x was correct. She said that the value was established only a few weeks ago and that nothing had changed.

I checked my bill today and it reads that in the event of a total loss the maximum amount payable is x or cash value, whichever is lesser. Since x = the value of bolt on items and does not include the value of the Jeep itself I would (again) have been screwed in the event of a total loss.

After 41 additional minutes on the phone with another Progressive agent and two supervisors the policy has been changed to a stated value of the value of the Jeep, plus all the accessories (which I had to list as neither the Camery driving newbie rep nor her supervisor could concieve of how to spend that amount on things that bolted to a vehicle.)

Very painful dealing with ignorance, since it is clear that the same wall of ignorance will be applied to attempt to cheat me of the value in the even of a loss (seems to be their modus operandi). I think I'll be switching insurance again.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Good luck as I feel and have always felt that the only true way to get back what our vans are really worth is to wreck it and see what happens. I’ve now added enough to the van that I should update my policy, but even if they (the insurance companies) said “sure no problem, but it will raise your premium a bit” I don’t know what actually would happen with a totaled vehicle. I’ve been screwed so many times by things like pro-rate charges that are hidden in fine print, I’m solidly skeptical when it comes to insurance companies. Maybe if you can convince one company to understand what a SMB and its equipment is, then provide some insurance that we won’t get screwed, they just might see a flood of owners who would switch over to their company. GMAC swears that I will have no problems because the van is an RV. Trust em? Nope not even on a stack of Bibles. It's a cryin shame. I will stay tuned.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #16

I almost hate to weigh in here but as 4wd van owner AND an insurance broker for the past 33 years I can't resist.
All comments made so far as to the difficulty of understanding your policy are right on. When I went to my main company to add my van I had to spend about a week of back and forth with my underwriter so that I could understand MY policy and more importantly my underwriter could understand exactly what I wanted and cover me properly. They had to make an exception in my case and I had to send all of my receipts and photos in order to document my vans value.

SMBs, regardless of who you get your insurance from, are "outside the box" when it comes to underwriting. No company that writes RV and regular private passenger auto coverage offers coverage taylored to an SMB. They will sometimes be able to "design" coverages to suit you as long as they can fit you into one of their boxes. You have to be willing to stay on the phone, read everything they send you and question everything you don't understand.

If you work with a live agent you still can't be certain he or she completely understands what the company's policy does and does not cover. Furthermore, if the agent isn't exactly clear on what an SMB is you very likely aren't properly covered. A good agent will answer all of your questions and ask lots of questions. If you feel like you are being rushed off the phone or you get lots of "no problem, we'll take care of it" be wary.

The folks that underwrite this type of coverage are at the bottom of the list when it comes to underwriters. This is especially true at companies who mostly market via an 800 #. Their compensation is based on production volume first and quality service last. They are timed on their phone calls and expected to complete applications in a specific time frame. And they don't care if you become a customer or not.

Auto insurance policies are standardized by state laws to eliminate as much abuse as possible by insurance companies. It's all supposed to protect the consumer but it has created a cookie cutter mentality with insurers. Everything has to fit the right box.

Jage has done an excellent job making Progressive explain his coverage and then making them correct his policy(s).
His breakdown and descriptions of coverage are excellent. I can't improve on what he has written.
Everyone needs to read his piece a few times before they call their agent.

To those of you who hate your insurance company or have had a bad experience with a claim, take a little more time to understand your coverage. Make your agent answer questions. If he can't help you understand fire him. You've spent big dollars to own an SMB, spend the time it takes to understand your insurance coverage.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #17
Site Team

Garage

So Chris, are you covered if you roll your van off a hill 10 miles from the nearest paved road?
And can you become my agent or would your agent take me on now knowing what a SMB is?
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
So Chris, are you covered if you roll your van off a hill 10 miles from the nearest paved road?
I'm covered for cliff rolls 100 miles (or more) from the nearest road of any type, as long as I'm not ice fishing or participating in an organized racing event.

That doesn't mean I won't have to fight about it!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #19

I have National Interstate Insurance. I could not find dirt roads listed under the EXCLUSIONS so I called AON which is the agent and asked where off road/dirt roads were listed. She said it is not a listed Exclusion. I am not ready to test it by having an accident.

I do have Purchase Price coverage for 5 years. My vehicle is listed as a 2008 Sportsmobile.

My policy describes a motor home as having built in facilities for cooking and sleeping (I have a porta pottie).

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #20

DAVEB,
My policy is with Allied. I'm not classed as a motorhome because I don't have a complete SMB factory set up. No exclusions for off road but the standard exclusions for Mexico travel.
Allied's issue was with the value of the van. They could not seem to get around the value limitation($4,000)on "special" or "custom" equipment which is basically everything beyond the stock 12 pass. van. I had to get an exception to the rule. I have "actual cash value " coverage up to the value I could substantiate with actual receipts for all of the add ons. I'm clearly "outside the box" with Allied but since I'm an exclusive agent for them I got them to make the exception. They were not very receptive but they did it.
If your van is classed as a MH and you want to check Allied you can call any Allied agent in Turlock.
I wouldn't be able to do any better job for you but thanks for asking.
If I total my van some day and then I will see if the underwriter actually documented my file properly.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote