Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #11

.............and then I bought a V-10 with a Torqueshift.

Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #12

I run an 02 Chevy Quigley with IFS, conversion van not an RV. The ride is really good, no complaints there. Has a lower center of gravity and so doesn't have top heavy feel or roll feel when turning. Drivetrain I think is better with the transmission and 350 motor. Those 3/4 ton+ transmissions are bullet proof from factory and it's cheap and easy to work on. I think the interior is much nicer, but then again mine is explorer conversion van so lots of luxuries.

Offroading goes to the Ford, better entering and departing angles and all the straight axle 4x4's sit up higher. But with that said go look at some of these 4x4 sprinter van and see what they can do with little, if any, lift.

Have heard Ford has a thicker frame.......

Haven't had any problems stoping with the giant brakes Quigley puts on and I routinely tow an 18ft boat with no trailer brakes.

Not sure on towing, if your comparing an IFS to a straight axle 4x4 the straight axle will handle more weight hands down, but would think a duramex chevy with straight axle 4x4 would be at or higher than any ford.

I'm not a mechanic, but I've talked with some who say the ford's can't keep ball joint's, would assume that's a problem with 2wd vans.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater View Post

Not sure on towing, if your comparing an IFS to a straight axle 4x4 the straight axle will handle more weight hands down, but would think a duramex chevy with straight axle 4x4 would be at or higher than any ford.
The GCWR of the Chevy Express 3500 Duramax is 17,000 pounds. 16,000 with the 6.0.

Compared to 20,000 for the powerstroke. 18,500 for the V10 with 4.10 gears or 22,000 with 4.56s.

4x4 conversion is irrelevant to towing capacity, with the exception of gear ratio changes, and of course the extra weight a 4x4 is always lugging around.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #14

Well for what it is worth my .02 ......
I like fords, I have been in construction and also ran a towing company for a lot of years, I have had multiple Ford trucks, a few Chevrolets, and 1 Dodge and a Jeep. That being said I will never buy a Chrysler product again! Ford and Chevy I will consider either. When it comes to an SMB though I would say this is how I would rate them.

1st Choice -- Ford E-350 with a 7.3 Powerstroke
2nd Choice -- Chevy AWD with a Duramax
3rd Choice -- Ford E-350 with a V10
4th Choice -- Ford E-350 with a 5.4 V8

Since the 7.3s cost so much if they are in good shape I didn't get one of those, and a Duramax isn't much cheaper. So that left the Ford gassers and I ended up finding a good deal on a 5.4 so thats what I ended up with.
I just dont like the Ford Diesels after the 7.3 so I would not recommend them, and I am not a fan of the Vortecs so I prefer the Fords. But as was mentioned by a few others I dont think either one is a "bad" choice so if the right deal came along I would be up for either......as long as it isnt a Chrysler!
www.DirkMitchell.com
Dirk Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #15

The fire dept I work for replaced its entire fleet about 5 years ago. They switched from Ford E450's (mostly 6.0L's) to the Chevy 3500 Duramax because of the mechanical issues we were having. EGR coolers/valves and oil coolers mostly. Not a totally fair comparison for this case but from a reliability standpoint the Chevy's have turned into an unexpected mechanical nightmare for us. Mostly due to the transmission. We go through them very frequently and the downtime has been significant. Granted, these units are being driven hard (14,000 calls a year with 5 units)but the older Fords were actually more reliable. Hopefully we will be transitioning to a medium duty chassis soon like a Freightliner or International.

I've driven both for many miles. Chevy Duramax 3500's as well as Ford E350 6.0's and 7.3's.
Hence, I own a Ford 7.3L with 322,000 miles on it.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #16

The GM Duramax vans don't come in AWD. All the AWD van are 1500 models with the 5.3. All the diesels have been converted via third party. I've got a 1000 miles on the Duramax and the everyday and highway driving difference is no contest a better experience. I've also taken it over the Santiam pass which I've done many many times in my 6.0 and the Duramax seems less phased by load and the coolant temp barely moved. Being only 1,000 miles in I can't speak to reliability yet.

i did drive the 6.0 Ford around Portland in the snow yesterday though and it ran like a charm and I do like the sound. Made me pretty nostalgic. It was nice to hop in the Duramax and drive home two hours though. Quiet easy cruising at 70-75 and the IFS front just glides across the freeway.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline View Post
I've driven both for many miles. Chevy Duramax 3500's as well as Ford E350 6.0's and 7.3's.
Hence, I own a Ford 7.3L with 322,000 miles on it.
Yep I had a built 99 Superduty CrewCab with the 7.3 -- I sold it a few years ago when I lost my job, that the only rig I ever regret selling.
www.DirkMitchell.com
Dirk Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy4x4