Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #1

Question Chevy vs Ford

I've been interested in getting a SMB for a long time and am starting to get more serious now. I've mostly researched later model (2007+) Fords but have come across a few Chevy's recently, including a Chevy EB 2500 Duramax. Are there any major pros/cons of a Chevy build versus a Ford of the same general time frame and build spec? I've seen so few Chevy's that I assume there is some specific reason most SMBs are Ford. Thanks for the help with this basic question.

barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
Site Team

Personally I'm a die-hard Ford guy, but I don't really think there's an advantage in one over the other. If the right rig comes along in either flavor, I would grab it.

Herb
Old 12-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #3

A duramax AWD is a pretty smokin rig if you find one.

Ford has many advantages with aftermarket parts and the general knowledge base.

I am a Ford guy too, but I respect all well made vehicles.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel47 View Post
I've been interested in getting a SMB for a long time and am starting to get more serious now. I've mostly researched later model (2007+) Fords but have come across a few Chevy's recently, including a Chevy EB 2500 Duramax. Are there any major pros/cons of a Chevy build versus a Ford of the same general time frame and build spec? I've seen so few Chevy's that I assume there is some specific reason most SMBs are Ford. Thanks for the help with this basic question.
Ford vans look better.
LandVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #5

Garage
both a good rigs imho, but the aftermarket support is aimed more at the ford. weldtec is changing that though...

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...uid-18507.html
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #6

Chevy - Rides better empty and lightly loaded. More car-like steering feel

Ford - More controlled ride when fully loaded or overloaded. Better brakes. Much better turning radius. Higher tow ratings. V10 powertrain pretty much lasts forever. The v8 is a good motor too, but does not come with as strong of a transmission.

The big one is aftermarket support. There's just way more stuff for the Fords. Especially when you get into 4WD conversion.

Also one more downside to the EB Chevy diesel van: It's pretty much maxed out at 4600 pounds with 2 front passengers. There's no extra capacity for a winch bumper or anything else up front.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #7

I have one of both. Personally I like the Chevy more. I'm not interested in diesel so my preference for the Vortec engine is based on gasser experience.

I like the full swing open rear doors on the Chevy. Ford uses clunky door swing that stick out and only open 90 degrees. The Chevy is wider, the dashboard is actually usable, and the seats are more comfortable. Just an overall more comfortable cockpit . Both are domestic vans with awful plastic and cheap knobs so it is a draw there.

Ford isn't bad and Chevy isn't great. They are no Sprinters but they are solid vans.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #8

I currently own one of each (the Ford is for sale) and Carringb and Simplesez both put it well. Mine are both Quigley diesels (the Ford is a 6.0) and the Chevy is the non lifted IFS. The Chevy is simply a much much better experience on road. The Duramax is much quieter and the IFS front is much more compliant going down the highway and in town over bumps. The Duramax so far appears to be about 15-20% more fuel efficient. Some of that has to do with gearing I'm sure (4.10 vs 3.53) but I also have the newer 6 speed trans in the Chevy. The '07 you're considering is a bit of a different gen Duramax with 4 spd trans so I can't speak specifically to those.

I've not had the chance to take the Chevy offroad, but there is quiet a bit less ground clearance do to the DEF tank and lack of lift, but those are problems that could be solved I suspect if you're really interested.

So, if you're going to be doing a lot of serious offroading and plan on being really heavy the Ford may be better. Other than that, I'd recommend the Chevy.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #9

i used to be a Chevy guy until I got interested in vans, now I'm a Ford guy basically because everything RV or aftermarket related leans to Ford for all the reasons listed above. This could change soon since the old standard vans are all going by the wayside.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #10

One more thought - comparing diesel to diesel, the Chevy is much more reliable, hands-down. I do have my doubts about the 4-speed auto behind the DuraMax. The 6-speed seems to be ok, although Chevy did issue recall to re-program the transmission to use the lock-up clutch less because it's not very strong. Under heavy load, like when towing, this means it will generate a lot of heat. If you aren't towing heavy, it probably won't have any problems. If you do tow heavy, much better aftermarket torque converters are available. At least that's a problem with one fix, unlike the 6.0 PowerStroke which can cost you many thousands and still leave you parked on the freeway.

Tags
chevy4x4