Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #11

Re: Close to New Purchase - 4x4 EB 50

Went up to Fresno last week and got to take the tour and spend some time in/around my van. I also was able to drive Alan's rig which was awesome. I could have spent another day just going through all of the vehicles that were in various stages of production; quite an operation they have up there.

So I'm currently less than two weeks out from taking delivery van. I was hoping for some of your recommendations for campsites within an hour or so of Fresno. I will eventually be heading south to San Diego, however wanted to stay one/two nights relatively close by to try and test all of the features and make sure I flush out any issues. Not afraid to head east/north if need be, doesn't have to be on the way home. SMB staff suggested Porcupine Flat Campground in YNP, but that's three or so hours away from what I can tell.

Really appreciate the input and looking forward to meeting some of you out on the trail.

-BP

Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #12

Garage

I was only in Fresno for a few months but I would say almost everything is at least 3 hours from there

There is Kings Canyon national park east of Lemoore but don't know if there were any camping spots. It seems like it was a couple hours away. There's also a resort called Harris Ranch it is interesting. It is west of Lemoore on el cinco.

Might also try Camp Fresno.

OBTW if BW was posting you would be asked "where are the pictures."
Old 04-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpruett
I was hoping for some of your recommendations for campsites within an hour or so of Fresno.
Here is a link for you.
viewtopic.php?p=27896#p27896
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #14

Thanks for the feedback and link guys, I'll check back in once I'm home with the new rig!! Much appreciated.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #15

Wawona campground in Yosemite NP is not far from the park entrance. It would probably be about 2 hours of driving.
handjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpruett
Went up to Fresno last week and got to take the tour and spend some time in/around my van. I also was able to drive Alan's rig which was awesome. I could have spent another day just going through all of the vehicles that were in various stages of production; quite an operation they have up there.

So I'm currently less than two weeks out from taking delivery van. I was hoping for some of your recommendations for campsites within an hour or so of Fresno. I will eventually be heading south to San Diego, however wanted to stay one/two nights relatively close by to try and test all of the features and make sure I flush out any issues. Not afraid to head east/north if need be, doesn't have to be on the way home. SMB staff suggested Porcupine Flat Campground in YNP, but that's three or so hours away from what I can tell.

Really appreciate the input and looking forward to meeting some of you out on the trail.

-BP
Forget Porcupine Flat; I doubt Tamarack Flat will even be open but you might snag a site at the highway 120 entrance Hodgon Meadow CG. If you can get there, the Falls at Yosemite are nice right now (if you have time to spend). Go out and grab a copy of Backcountry Adventures book. It's worth purchasing the northern and southern copies for a good set of reference books.

Pine Flat Reservoir isn't too far away and there are a few fairly nice camp on the lakes inlet along the Kings River. The Merced River canyon below Yosemite (about 2 hours away) would be good during the week but might be a little warm.Click on this link for more info There is also a lot of other camps mentioned in the site but late snows has many places closed that would be normally open. One thing about the Merced River Canyon, you might run into the poppy bloom and it might be a good one this year. Also check out the Old Coulterville Trail. If you go 4x4 it might be a good run. On any off road stuff, contact the local rangers to see if the trail is open. Many are closed to trees down. The Burma Grade Trail is open as of a week ago. You can read about it on my site also. PM me if you need any other ideas. Have a good time at SMB

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #17

Thanks for the info Dave, much appreciated. I'll let you know where I end up.