Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2023, 10:29 AM   #1

Closet Track Shelving Ideas ?

Greetings -- looking for your ideas to add track shelving to my main closet - where previously I hung coats, etc., which made it difficult to store other clothing items - because it only left the floor for same. Closet is roughly 36-40 inches wide - and roughly 46 inches high.

My plan is to "roll up" all my clothes and store on shelving - which would need to be minimalistic in overall dimensions, etc. Some type of "track" shelving with vertical supports on left/right walls front and back - and maybe open wire shelves for rolled up clothes.

Anybody done this type of shelving and any success or failures feedback appreciated. Photos would be awesome !

Thanks !

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:37 PM   #2

I have given this lots of thought and it can be made to work if you have the parts to keep the shelves from "jumping" off the supports.

We settled on 1/16th thick aluminum angle supports and 1/4" to 3/8" Baltic ply shelving at about 14" to 26" wide. We have also found shallow drawers work well for clothes, socks, etc. The shelves can be secured to the aluminum angle with small screws and nuts.

I would consider dividing up the 36 to 40 in wide space into some smaller cubbies using 1/4" ply for dividers and shelves while leaving one cubby full width.

Vinyl covers with snaps can keep the space looking tidy and keep the contents from spilling out.

Just a thought.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:06 PM   #3

I converted my hanging closet to shelves and bins. I’ll try to take some pics tomorrow.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:19 PM   #4

Thanks "1der and BrianW" for your input !
Old 03-14-2023, 12:26 PM   #5

I just created a separate thread with a write-up on how I converted my cabinet. Find it at https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ins-31367.html
Old 03-15-2023, 09:26 AM   #6

Garage
Russ, I've considered converting my closet space as well - Came to the conclusion the most annoying part of shelves is contending with the space in the back (having to remove items to get to what's behind the stuff in the front). Haven't progressed beyond the 'think it through" stages, but decided when I tackle the project I would just use drawers attached to sliders - that way I can just pull it out and access everything quickly & easily. Will also make it easier for us to inspect what's in each one with more speed...since lately we tend to forget what we've put where In particular the lower ones!
Brian - Like the concept of picking up & removing the boxes (especially to & from the house)...has me thinking again!
Old 03-15-2023, 10:39 AM   #7

Yep, the boxes we use are the plastic bins with covers and locking handles. Various sizes from small to large. The covers help keep the contents clean from dust, etc. Easy to remove and organize in the house.

We have 1/4" thick shelves between each bin level to avoid having to get to the "bin on the bottom". No heavy drawer slides.

No Drawer slides. We also have some drawers made 3/8" ply sides and 1/4" ply bottoms riding on aluminum angle supports. A fancy mod would be adding thin nylon or teflon strips to use as glides.
Old 03-15-2023, 11:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Russ, I've considered converting my closet space as well - Came to the conclusion the most annoying part of shelves is contending with the space in the back (having to remove items to get to what's behind the stuff in the front). Haven't progressed beyond the 'think it through" stages, but decided when I tackle the project I would just use drawers attached to sliders - that way I can just pull it out and access everything quickly & easily. Will also make it easier for us to inspect what's in each one with more speed...since lately we tend to forget what we've put where In particular the lower ones!
Brian - Like the concept of picking up & removing the boxes (especially to & from the house)...has me thinking again!

Yes, the bins make it very easy. Our last (1998) van had two large cabinets with shelves. At first we just put stuff on the shelves, but as you said it was a PITA to manage. Then I found some stock Rubbermaid bins that fit the depth perfectly. I unscrewed and moved the wood shelves to fit the height of the bins, resulting in not too much wasted space. It worked REALLY well for the three of us on our multiple month-long trips in the van. I don't think I have pics of the cabinet with the bins installed, but here's what the cabinet looked like. This was the inspiration for the mod I did to the open cabinet in our 2011.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_1813.jpg   DSC_1812.jpg  
Old 03-15-2023, 12:17 PM   #9

Great ideas and responses - thanks all !