Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2007, 10:21 AM   #11

I don't know about the 6.0, but the IH engine site states the new 6.4 has new piezo injectors for reliable starting down to -10. Doesn't really bode well for trying to start a diesel below that.

If nothing else, I would suggest a generator to power the block heater for about 4 hours prior to starting. Or, build a really good fire, get some really hot coals and pile them under the engine to preheat it.

With our 6.0, I'd be really worried below 0. It started fine at 15 degrees, but I wouldn't want to stake my life on it much lower.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:30 AM   #12
Site Team

Re: Cold Weather Starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Another option, just run the diesel all night long. Relatively minimal fuel usage for a diesel at idle.
Herb
My ScanGauge shows 0.5 to 0.6 gallons per hour at idle, in case you want to go this route.
Joey,

If you've left your SMB idling for extended periods, did you use the high idle switch, or just let it idle at normal rpms?

Herb
Old 12-31-2007, 01:59 PM   #13

Our 2006 PSD starts reliably from 10-20deg, but have not tried to fire it below that.

I've seen the block heater power cord and used a zip-ty to secure it to the bumper. If it becomes necessary to use the block heater, for how long do you need to provide power before the motor is warm enough to start? I've got a small honda generator that could do the trick (boldly assuming that it starts), or could use house power.
Thanks
Rob

Never mind.......just went out and read the manual.

For the 6.0l PSD, manual recommends use of the block warmer at temps of neg 20deg or below. Instructions are to plug in the warmer at least 3 hours before attempting to start. Very unlikely I'll need to follow this procedure, but good to know it is an option.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #14

Garage
Cold weather, Diesel

Clips taken directly from my 2007 6.0 PSD owners manual...

Quote:
Cold Weather Starting: The engine block heater must be used for starting when the temperature is -20F (-29C) or colder. When operating in cold weather, use a minimum of 45 Cetane Diesel fuel or use Cetane Index improvers from a reputable manufacturer.
Quote:
Cold Weather Operation: Changing to lighter grade engine oil makes starting easier under cold weather conditions. At temperatures below 20F (-7C), Number 2-D diesel fuel may thicken enough to clog the fuel filter. For best results in cold weather, use Number 1-D diesel fuel or “winterized” Number 2-D diesel fuel which has an additive to minimize wax formation.
Quote:
Your vehicle is also equipped with a bypass relief valve, located on the fuel control module, which provides fuel flow to the engine if the fuel pickup should become plugged by ice or wax. To allow this bypass valve to function and avoid engine fuel starvation, it is recommended that, during cold weather operation 32F (0C) or below, the fuel level in your tank should not be allowed to drop below 1/4 full. This will prevent air from entering the fuel system and stalling the engine.
Quote:
In cold weather below 32F (0C) your diesel engine will slowly increase to a higher idle speed if left idling in ‘P’ (Park). As the engine warms-up, the engine sound level will decrease due to the activation of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) - controlled sound reduction features.
Quote:
Note: Idling in cold weather will not heat the engine to its normal operating temperature. Long periods of idling in cold weather can cause a buildup of heavy deposits of carbon and rust on the valve stems causing them to stick, which in turn, can cause valve train damage.

The following cold weather guidelines must be followed:

- Avoid idling the engine for more than 10 minutes at a time.

- Use Motorcraft Cetane Index improvers of a non-alcohol base from a reputable manufacturer.

- Do not shut the engine down after an extensive idling period (10 minutes or more). Drive the vehicle for several miles with the engine at normal operating temperature under a moderate load to burn off any accumulated carbon and varnish.

Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/albums/adventure/)
twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #15

Re: Cold Weather Starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
If you've left your SMB idling for extended periods, did you use the high idle switch, or just let it idle at normal rpms?
Herb
The longest I've run it at high idle was about an hour or so (using power tools off the inverter) and I doubt I've ever gone longer than an hour at regular idle, either, although for occasional use I wouldn't worry about it.

What I have done is used the remote to auto start it every 4 hours but I didn't use the high idle for that since it only runs for 20 minutes and the computer will automatically high idle it for a little bit to get it up to temp.

-Joey
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote