Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #1

Comments and critiques

We're looking to eventually buy a used SMB, not a 4x4, and not a diesel. I would like to get some comments from the forum on this one that is on Ebay right now. And, value of a van like this?
Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-For ... Q5fCampers

rayandjanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Comments and critiques

Seems pretty clean and well kept to me.

You may want to ask if they have the vehicle weight. Personally, and others will disagree, I think the 5.4L V8 might be a bit strained if the vehicle weighs too much (though it being 2wd keeps some of the weight down). Also depends if you'll be using in flat-lands, hills, mountains,...or if you plan on towing.

Didn't notice a furnace or water system mentioned (if that's important to you).

Looks like there may be shore power connector on the van body. If so, ask if there's a "house battery", what kind it is, and how old it is.

Herb
Old 07-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #3

Looks good. The dinette bed would be too small for us, either direction, and I think even solo I'd find it uncomfortable. Up top is always an option, however it's nice to not to have to pop the top to be comfortable... but then again some people sleep across the van, and others prefer the top anyway.

TV has to go- probably not digital compliant anyway, and who wants to drag bulky VHS tapes around in their rig?

If you're converting to 4x4 you can get some gearing to compensate for any (perceived ) lack in the V8.

Overall looks great.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Oh, and to the question of value? That's a seriously tough question, aside from the somewhat flippant "whatever you're willing to pay" answer.

The market for SMBs/RVs is definitely down now, and it is a buyer's market. Comps are hard to come by, and a lot depends on the location of the vehicle. The Sportsmobile used vehicle webpages are a good place to start, though those are just asking prices and many of the vehicles have been there for a while.

Start with the KBB of the base vehicle and add $8-12K?

Herb
Old 07-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #5

Comments and critiques

The layout is very similar to the 1998 Ford E150 that we bought a couple of months ago. The bed is not really a double. It is somewhere between a twin and a double in width. I am 5'-10" tall and just fit on he bed with a small pillow. My wife is shorter and she has no problems fitting. You have to like snuggling if you are both going to sleep on he bed.

IMO the van is a good value. We bought ours for $5,000 and it was in similar condition with 72,000 miles.

Ask about the heater. They are great to have and waking up to a to a warm van is great. Was camping at a racetrack in an Oregon April when it got down in the 30s. Warming the van up to 70 before getting out of bed was a luxury I would not trade.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote