Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #11

Re: Coolant Hose Problem 6.0 PSD w/ Espar Hydronic or Flat P

I guess I should've paid more attention to John's original post. I was lucky enough to experience the same thing this week. My dealership is fixing the problem now by replacing and rerouting the hose. I may have been able to do this myself, but it is definitely beyond my current comfort level of working on vehicles.

Did SMB cover your costs for fixing this? Our van is 4 years old, so it may be out of warranty as well. The repair, including new fluids, parts, labor is about $350.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #12

Yes Sportsmobile did cover the cost of the repair but I was within my warranty. I would be wary about having the dealer repair this. In my case the dealer replaced the hose but re-routed it to an even worse location and I had the same problem within a year. This time I chose to repair it myself. It is nearly impossible to keep the hose from rubbing because the clearances are so tight where it runs through the engine compartment. I instead used a two lengths of flexible metal tubing to protect the hose, which I purchased from McMaster Carr.

Good Luck,
John
Old 10-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #13

Thanks again John. I will have them show me the changes they made and take a close look at how it runs and where any potential problem areas are. I'm somewhat surprised it took 4 years for the hose to finally fail, I thought it would've happened much sooner. Luckily it happened this week and not on our drive home through Arizona this past Sunday when the temperature was 102 at 5:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #14

Garage
Add me to the list of victims. 120 miles of Death Valley washboard finally rubbed a hole in one of the coolant lines. Any pics of alternative routing paths or should I just put some protective wrap around the hoses?
Old 11-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #15

The alternative route I used was to remove all of the SMB hoses that would leave me stranded, replace the cut heater hoses with new Ford hoses ($$$) and removed the single wall flat plate that contaminated the drinking water with antifreeze and made several of us sick. Eventually installing a hot water heater converted to 12v similar to Boywonder's set up for hot water again. Nothing to over reactive.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:25 PM   #16

Garage
As suspected the hole was caused by the stearing arm ujoint rubbing against one of the heater hoses. I re-ran the hoses and wrapped them in wiring loom to keep it from happening again. The trick is to zip tie the hoses to fixed points so they don't move and rub.