Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2022, 10:13 AM   #1

Counteract Balancing Beads

I saw a comment on this forum about using Counteract Balancing Beads

https://counteractbalancing.com

for balancing wheels and tires. After calling and talking with tech support they advise using the beads in lieu of traditional balancing methods. Anybody have any experience or opinions regarding this product?

I have a 1999 E350 V10 with Nitto Terra Grapplers. After repeated attempts I have never had a balanced set of wheels and tires that were acceptable at all speeds. Plus 65 has always been a problem, not a big problem but certainly not comfortable. I am contemplating changing my tires to the BFG KO A/T and am tempted, based on my conversation with tech support, to use this product. I come to this forum and the vast knowledge and experience inhabiting this forum to seek enlightenment. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-20-2022, 11:49 AM   #2

Garage
If you’ve “never had tires and wheels that balanced”, I would ask if you have replaced the shocks - or at least checked them to see if they are functional.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:24 PM   #3

I tried them and had no luck. I had a similar issue and couldn't get to the bottom of it. Found a local shop that balance whole wheel/tire assembly while they're still on the vehicle. Smooth
Old 01-20-2022, 01:26 PM   #4

I used to use them. I liked them, but I swap tires every 6 months because I don’t have a set of winter wheels, so it became an extra cost and I’d end up with the beads everywhere.

Are you on factory steelies? One or more might not quite be concentric. The beads won’t fix that. Or compensate for out of round wheels. So make sure you make sure the wheels are running true before chasing balance issues any further.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:07 PM   #5

Could be an unbalanced driveshaft as well.

I'll be honest - I've never wrapped my head around how balancing beads are supposed to work. Once the tire starts spinning, centripetal force will cause the beads to distribute around the circumference of the tire. But what causes the beads to distribute themselves in a way that balances the tire? Why would more beads go to where the tire is lighter, and vice versa?
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
I saw a comment on this forum about using Counteract Balancing Beads

https://counteractbalancing.com

for balancing wheels and tires. After calling and talking with tech support they advise using the beads in lieu of traditional balancing methods. Anybody have any experience or opinions regarding this product?

I have a 1999 E350 V10 with Nitto Terra Grapplers. After repeated attempts I have never had a balanced set of wheels and tires that were acceptable at all speeds. Plus 65 has always been a problem, not a big problem but certainly not comfortable. I am contemplating changing my tires to the BFG KO A/T and am tempted, based on my conversation with tech support, to use this product. I come to this forum and the vast knowledge and experience inhabiting this forum to seek enlightenment. Thanks in advance.
That's been my experience also. Hard to get a good balance, especially with the bud wheels. Doesn't bother some people so they don't notice.

I've found the balancemasters to be very good, above centramatics fit and finish. They don't put enough mercury in the balancer imo. They will say you can remove the weights but that hasn't been my experience.

The thing with the road force balancing, it uses the sidewall of the tire as a spring when it calculates the balance weights. If you change the psi on the tire, it changes the spring rate of the tire. So road force is not always the way to go. The tire people want to inflate the tire to manufacturer specs, 60f 80r, I don't run them that hard so when I deflate it can mess the balance up.

I've found a combination of dynamic balance with the balancemasters to be my ticket. And once a tire is wore out of balance, it never gets better.

I've never used anything inside the tire. Can't figure out how it works if the contact patch of the tire flattens as it moves across the pavement, or maybe it doesn't have a lot of effect. So I stick to the tight fitting very well centered balancemaster pieces, expensive but well made.
Dearranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:06 PM   #7

Well, I guess they work... still can't quite reason out why though.

motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by motovan_mn View Post
Well, I guess they work... still can't quite reason out why though.
They do work in many cases but as CarringB explained they don't solve a lot of other problems commonly thought to be unbalanced tires. There are other old school methods that worked too before someone thought up charging $50 for .25c worth of plastic beads such as a cup or two of antifreeze, sand, etc.

Anything that moves around in there and has a little mass will help, if that's actually the problem.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:05 PM   #9

My experience is that balancing beads are good for trailer tires that are commonly not spin-balanced.

I tried them in motorcycle tires - horrible! When I'd rapidly scrub speed before diving into a sharp curve, I could feel a sluggish imbalance as those beads redistributed. It made the bike feel like it was losing gyroscopic balance (well, it was) and caused a very unstable feeling in the front fork.

I've never used them in car or truck tires.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:54 PM   #10

Interesting Brian, never thought about that.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote