Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #11

When my lower glass fell out and broke I just replaced the whole unit... While the replacement is pricey it is a do it yourself type job. On another window the gears stripped I've just glued it shut, probably 6 years now. On my third window when I started to notice glass and frame separation I reinforced it with more bonding adhesive. This has worked for over a year now.

PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:48 PM   #12

If anyone needs one of these FW904RS windows, I can get them new from CRL for $410 plus shipping or Will call at a CRL location if they have them in stock there.
Current Stock
Los Angeles, California has 61 uts.
Carolinas and Virginia, South Carolina -1
Orlando, Florida -1

Right now it looks like Amazon has a great price of $414.56 and $15.49 shipping.

Beware of CARID, they will hit you will CRAZY shipping charge for one of these as you are getting ready to wrap up ordering..
Old 06-20-2019, 09:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionnw View Post

No, you do not have to remove the window from the van. the crank assembly can be serviced while the unit is installed in the van wall.
This thread has come and gone and I'm bringing it back, because I still cannot find directions anywhere as to how the replace the crank without removing the window from the van. I looked at it closely today and I think the frame has to come out to get the pivot tube (my name for the tube across the middle of the window) out of the crank and that appears to be needed before the crank box will come out.

I added three photos to my album to show the parts.

Any other info lurking out there?

Brian
Old 06-21-2019, 05:54 AM   #14

I had to remove the window. I do not see how it could be done without. It's not that hard even with SMB cabinetry behind it, in fact removing the window is a lot easier than replacing the gear box, which took some creativity and 4 hands as I recall.

I think I posted some pics in one of my albums but they're probably buried deep.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:04 AM   #15

Hey all, curious if anyone replaced their broken/damaged CR Lawrence window with a new one and still have the old one with an in-tact upper window pane? I dropped my orbital sander prepping the rig for Raptor and broke my upper window pane (doh!). I asked CRL who pointed me to DK Hardware who said CRL do not sell the panes separately and I have to replace the whole thing. That is stupid! I would install something else instead of replacing the whole window if I didn’t have a giant hole in the side of my van. Terrible design if you can’t replace a broken pane. Anyways, happy to throw some cash/beer/gear your way if anyone has an unbroken pane or know where I can get one.

I also checked with SMB West to no avail and messaged expeditionnw but have not heard back.

This is the one I have.
PN: FW904RS
CRL 'All-Glass' Look 33-3/8" x 19-1/8" Crank Out Van Window
Attached Thumbnails
6835FABF-58FE-4B6B-85F8-219A80ECB166.jpg  
Old 01-06-2021, 07:15 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Unless you get crazy lucky and find a removed a CRL unit from which you could harvest needed parts you will be stuck buying something new. CRL doesn't care how dumb their lack of support seems to the average DIY user, its just how they've been since taking on those sorts of window units.

I'm fairly sure reading back through this entire thread you'll see most have been completely replaced when one of the tempered glass parts have been broken.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #17

Go find a local glazier who knows his stuff.

The glass can be cut to fit if the frame can be opened up at the seam where the ends come together.

Then he has it tempered, pops it back in the frame for you to reinstall.

Drop by a good tint shop for a match.

On second thought it seems like a lot a fiddly work instead of just replacing the whole thing and selling off the unbroken bits to someone in need.

Your call...
Old 01-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #18
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
On second thought it seems like a lot a fiddly work instead of just replacing the whole thing and selling off the unbroken bits to someone in need.

Your call...
That's the best advice so far----your method has someone running all over town to fix one fairly easily and affordably price bit. If the window is already removed why spend so much time when replacing it would be the quicker option?

Add in glass tempered to residential or commercial glazing spec's is NOT as strong as that which carries an automotive or DOT spec. I'm in the glass biz so have a bit of knowledge in this.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:45 AM   #19

Garage
Finding a good glass guy is likely your only option, crl has discontinued all but a select few windows for the econolines.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:17 AM   #20

What about a piece of lexan cut to fit and glued in? You may even be able to tint to match the lower window.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote