Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #1

cracked Aluminess tubes

Looks like water somehow got into the tubes of my swing arm. Consequently, it froze and cracked the tubes.

The only thing I have mounted is the deluxe box and I followed their directions to mount it. No impact was involved. In fact, there isn't a scratch on the bumper, box or swing arm.

Pretty bummed. Hoping this is a warranty issue. I emailed Aluminess and have not heard back from them. I am guessing this is not a good sign.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #2

Wow. Never heard of that happening with Aluminess.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #3

If you had a way to get it to Aluminess, I have zero doubt they will fix it, if not for free, very inexpensively. I was there a couple months ago and asked them to add some gussets to the hinge (due to my overloading the box), and repair the piviot points that had worn due to thousands of miles of crappy roads. Since I was traveling, the got me in the same day (despite being booked for weeks in advance) and only charged me for an hour's labor and no materials. It actually took about an hour and a half. They had moved since my last visit, and now have a great waiting room stocked with magazines, movies, coffee and sodas and comfy chairs. I can't say enough good stuff about the experience. I'm pretty certain they will fix your issue quickly and if not for free, very inexpensively. It's hard to tell from your photos, but if water had frozen inside the tube, the split should be pushed outward, but your photos look like it's pushed in, as though someone backed into you. No matter though, they will fix it.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #4

Looking at the photos I can see where the crack in the second one could be from water filling part way up the tube Andy freezing. It is harder for me to understand how water could have cause the crack in the top photo. The damage could be form something else.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #5

I heard from Aluminess. They said they would fix it. I live in Utah so getting it there might be a challenge. Might need to find an excuse to drive to CA.

It is very odd and I was pretty puzzled when I first saw it. I assumed someone had backed into me. However, as I mentioned, not a scratch anywhere else. Also the failure mode is consistent with a 'pressure' related pipe failure. Anyone who has had frozen pipes has seen that same behavior.

How water got in there is the real question. This is not my first winter with these parts. In hindsight, this summer I do remember hearing an odd hissing from the bumper when it was hot. This implies there was pressure being released. There are only four holes in the tubes all of which are where the box mounts. Clearly, the water level was higher than the bottom of the box based on the vertical crack. It also means there was quite a bit of water in there!

No idea how it happened. The Aluminess guy mentioned they would drill some drain holes. Odd but, probably a good idea!

If anyone is driving through Utah headed to CA, let me know!
Old 02-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #6

I am taking my van to Agile Off-road in early March for a 4x4 conversion. Their new shop is across the street from Aluminess, so I could drop it off. I will pick up the van in mid-April. So if that time works for you, I’ll be glad to help.

I live in Utah county. PM me if you want to discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #7

^^^ Love to see forum-ites helping each other out like this! Very cool.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #8

@cthayn: That would be excellent. Let me get some more info from Aluminess then I will get in touch. I work in UT county so it would be pretty easy.

@acrtictraveler: the bulge on both actually is outward. Hard to tell from the pics but maybe a bit clearer on the 'vertical' crack. I am also guessing the tubes would have buckled if they were hit. In any event, someone would have had to hit my bumper or the box. Neither have a scratch.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
^^^ Love to see forum-ites helping each other out like this! Very cool.
yep love this forum.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtanddogfur View Post
@cthayn @acrtictraveler: the bulge on both actually is outward. .
In that case, it's clear it was ice expansion. It's also clear that the water got in through one of the bolt holes. It's amazing how water will find its way into just about anywhere it has access to. Sealing the holes and adding a tiny drain hole should prevent this from happening again, just clean out the hole once in a while.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote