Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #1

Question crazy? 2 sliders: 22’ Transit?

Is it crazy to have 2 slider doors on a 22’ Transit?

Hi all

Other than cost - what downsides to having a slider door on both (stock) passenger side, but also a slider on the drivers side.... ?

And - any idea of rough cost to have Ford add the 2nd slider during manufacture ?

Why? You may ask....

So - Thinking about getting a high roof 22’ Transit - I would order it from Ford to have just the options we want, and none we don’t.

Would put in a single captains chair behind the driver. So the 3 of us can go camping. Would have a minimal interior with bed in the back.

(So no we don’t want the bench seat in the 2nd row)

I just realized that our very narrow driveway next to our house has a big wall on the passenger side (if we drove van right into driveway - where it would always be parked) and so the stock slider on the passenger side of van would open right into a wall very close by.

There is much more loading space on the drivers side.

Oh yeah and backing all the way in would be tricky - and then the driver door would be very difficult to open if I backed in.

Thanks.

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #2

P. S.

it is looking as if our van build would be minimal - so no shower - just a small cabinet for a Port A Potty.

And no kitchen.

Plus that area would have the captains chair - right behind the driver - so in some ways having a 2nd slider behind the driver would be nice for having 2 ways in and out of the main body of the van. Plus lots of cross breeze on hot days.

Anyone know of any downsides to a 2nd slider, in terms of maybe a bunch more road noise ? Or something like that. (?)

Thanks. :-)
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #3

If I got Transit, I'd get a Long/Tall dual slider as well.

Biggest downside it Ford REALLY limits options. No all around glass (although adding them later isn't the end of the world) and no Power Running Boards, and a couple other options I can't remember right now. Of course, the biggest option being no Wagons with dual sliders.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:09 PM   #4

LA, get on the Transit Forum and find CrewVanMan. He works for Matt Ford in Kansas City, very close to where they are built, and knows all and specializes in ordering/selling Transits. He knows everything you can get and how to get it.....and then some.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote