Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #11

Re: Custom Projector Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
you wouldnt need the chrome reflector housing with the hid correct? if thats the case, you could just blackout the rest of the enclosure. I think that would actually look pretty good. maybe photoshop a few options up?
I believe that the US DOT has minimums in the size of a "headlight". I believe the rule is approxamatly 30 square inches of inner reflective surface to be a "headlight". Painting the reflector black would break that rule.

The law is so that when a vehicle is coming at you - you can recognize it (by this standard) as a motor vehicle and you can, by eye, figure the distance that vehicle is away from you. Alter that reflector size or the distance between the two and you are in danger of someone pulling out in front of you.

I had heard once that Saturns were more likely to be in cross traffic accidents due to their DRL's being close together.

Firetrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #12

I have HID bulbs in the clear Euro lenses pictured above. The pattern is fine (I actually tried the HIDs because the pattern was not remotely usable with halogens). THere's actually less scatter than the stock housing with halogens, and its less irritating to oncoming drivers than my mom's GLK350 with projector HIDs.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #13

Garage

^^^ do you have any pictures or writeups on teh conversion??

Quote:
Originally Posted by audisnapr
yup, the euro guys do it as well. That's one step I was hoping to avoid though. It's often hit or miss. It's something to consider though. Thanks for the support.
i figured the euros did as well, just hadnt crossed paths with anyone who had done anything similar personally, and np

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetrux
I believe that the US DOT has minimums in the size of a "headlight". I believe the rule is approxamatly 30 square inches of inner reflective surface to be a "headlight". Painting the reflector black would break that rule.

The law is so that when a vehicle is coming at you - you can recognize it (by this standard) as a motor vehicle and you can, by eye, figure the distance that vehicle is away from you. Alter that reflector size or the distance between the two and you are in danger of someone pulling out in front of you.
that makes complete sense, and if he were using a traditional bulb, it wouldnt work for S#!T either. since he is considering the HID unit, the chrome reflector is useless. my tl has the same style HID setup with no chrome reflector around it. the entire casing is black from the factory.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #14

On painting/not removing the lens- you're opening the back anyway to place the bulb. Once you have that hole and your mount figured, you can put a puddle of thinned paint in the housing while keeping the lens up. Slowly turn the housing to spread the paint puddle until the inside is coated up to the lens edge. Then set lens up to drain excess out the hole and let dry. Except for testing I'd do this last (lens mount ready to go) and let dry for several days.

Something like Rustoleum that comes in a can (not sure if the Duplicolor plastics come in non-spray).
Old 05-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by audisnapr
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Interesting idea. Are those projectors a combination high/low beam, or is one projector required for each?
herb
damn, didn't think of that.

the Audi headlights that I have use one projector for the low beam, then a separate bare bulb next to the projector as the high beam.

Could I use a dual filament bulb in a case like this?
The pic you posted looked like a 90mm Hella (or equiv) projector. That one is low beam and has a piece of metal in the lens to stop the light being thrown too far / high. Takes an H7 bulb. So even if you could get a dual filament H7 bulb (which you can't), or managed to make a H4 bulb (dual filament) to fit, the internal metal plate would block it from working as a high beam. If you took the lens apart and removed metal plate, then it would always be hi beam. Remember Hi and Lo beam is not just the brightness of the bulb, the reflector shape has more to do with it than the brightness of the bulb.
In saying all that, you need 4 of those lights to replace the 2 OEM ones. 2 for high and 2 for low, and they use different part#, don't buy 4 the same.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #16

cheap way to get to Euro lenses....i need it for our technical check (TÜV)
it works well, wether you like it or not ....its up to you

Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0332.jpg   IMGP0336.jpg   IMGP1202.jpg  
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluchtenflitzer
cheap way to get to Euro lenses....i need it for our technical check (TÜV)
it works well, wether you like it or not ....its up to you
I think it looks awesome, actually! I think the round lights within the OE housing looks more natural then my idea of adding projectors in the OE housing. Did you do any sort of write-up on this? What type of bulbs, how you cut the OE housing, etc. Did you replace the lens on the front of the OE housing or is it left open?

I really like it. More info please
Old 05-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #18

Appreciate to hear this ;-)
In moment i took back aftermarket lights...but i will see how big the different is in night. In moment i am rebuilting the interieur so the car is not drivable...

I just took the lens of and did not take it back because otherwise it will destruct the optical shining of the light (sorry of my bad english...). I mean than you have 2 lenses and both will work against the other. So the light will not be there on the street where it should. Maybe you can take aftermarket lenses witch are clear!

Than i took a aftermarket H4 "E"signed lens with out diameter of 154mm
http://www.google.de/imgres?start=86&cl ... x=39&ty=69
and cut the original reflektor to fix the reflektor in it (with glue-sikkaflex
http://www.amazon.de/Sikaflex-221-Kartu ... s=sikaflex
against vibrations and some straps). Be carefull to cut the hole in in the right direktion. It is NOT straight to the housing! You have to orientate more to the direction of the bulb. Otherwise you will not be able to adjust it in the right direktion

The nice thing is that you can use the ome light adjuster!
Hope the pics will tell you more than i can...

as it is not possible to add more than 3 pics, see in my gallery!

Attached Thumbnails
IMGP1205.jpg   IMGP0323.jpg   IMGP0324.jpg  
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #19

I am seriously considering upgrading my standard 6x7 lo-series type headlights to a projector kit from the Retrofit Source.

See: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/comple ... t-d2s.html

My questions are these:

Does a 2003 E350 have enough room behind the headlight to allow for a projector? I understand that the projector will sit further back than the standard headlight, so some custom cutting may be necessary.

Has anyone out there installed projectors in a 2003 or similar body style?

If this does work, should I increase the gauge of the wires to the headlights? I understand there has been some concern about fire danger.

Any pics or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
John
gradalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #20

I believe the issue with overheating wires comes from using the stock wiring to drive higher output incandescent lights. HID bulbs are typically almost twice as efficient as incandescents so for a similar light output they draw less current. It's been a couple of years since I did a conversion but the last time I used 35w HID's to replace 55w halogens and got much brighter lights and significantly less current draw.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote