Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #21

Re: Custom Projector Headlights

I converted my stock headlights to projectors sometime last year. It's on page 6 of my build thread...

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10864&start=75

I also installed a 50" LED light bar on top of my Van which is on the last page I think. I did a nice enough write up that it should help anyone looking to do it themselves. www.retrofitsource.com also has a forum for members to help each other out with their builds along the way.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #22

The space behind the drivers side headlight was a concern when I looked at my headlights. I have 95 with a 5.8 gas motor and the battery tray is pretty much right behind the headlight. Not sure if the diesel motors have the tray right there as well. I considered relocating the battery to the frame, but I haven't looked into it much. If the battery tray wasn't there, then it should be a pretty straight forward retrofit. You would need to get some clear headlights from amazon or ebay first though.

I did the retrofit on my Tacoma a few years back and the difference in light output is night and day.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #23

Battery is def a concern of mine as well.

I still plan to graft my old Audi projector headlights (with high beam) into the factory Ford headlight housings, but just haven't pulled the trigger on a new set with clear lenses.

Coupled with a cheap HID kit the projectors should be a nice improvement.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #24

Consider getting the morimoto HID kit. I think its $75, but the ballasts are much better than the cheap kits and the bulbs are nice. I tried running cheap ballasts with my morimoto bulbs I already had and the color/temp wasn't true. The ballast was too weak to optimize the light so the output was basically blue. Threw in some good ballasts and the color got to where it needed to be (4300k).