Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #1

Custom Projector Headlights

I know the topic of headlight upgrades comes up from time to time seeing as the 92-08 headlights are so poor. I've read reviews of bulb upgrades and even the HID install (no-no in non-projector housings), but I'm wondering if anyone has attempted or tackled the custom projector style headlight conversion?

I’m thinking of taking on the task myself and looking for any e-series examples. Considering buying cheap clear housings, hacking them up and installing some projectors I have laying around from my Audi. If the transplant was successful, I could pick up a HID kit and ultimately have a decent headlight setup that won’t offend oncoming drivers.

To be honest, my biggest concern is how a single projector will look inside the E-Series housing. I fear it'll look odd.
Attached Thumbnails
uploadfromtaptalk1368018583667.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1368018594591.jpg  

Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Custom Projector Headlights

wondered all these same questions myself. honestly, i dont think it would look all that bad.

you wouldnt need the chrome reflector housing with the hid correct? if thats the case, you could just blackout the rest of the enclosure. I think that would actually look pretty good. maybe photoshop a few options up?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Site Team

Interesting idea. Are those projectors a combination high/low beam, or is one projector required for each?

herb
Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #4

Expensive and a lot of work to make the brackets/surrounds.....?

Upgrading to Cibie/Bosch H4 eCode rectangular lamps with higher wattage bulbs and relays is the easiest option and gets the best results for the price. There's enough posts on trying to find solutions I will post some pictures and links in another thread. They are awesome, I haven't even bothered installing my driving lights, they work so well.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Interesting idea. Are those projectors a combination high/low beam, or is one projector required for each?
herb
damn, didn't think of that.

the Audi headlights that I have use one projector for the low beam, then a separate bare bulb next to the projector as the high beam.

Could I use a dual filament bulb in a case like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
wondered all these same questions myself. honestly, i dont think it would look all that bad.

you wouldnt need the chrome reflector housing with the hid correct? if thats the case, you could just blackout the rest of the enclosure. I think that would actually look pretty good. maybe photoshop a few options up?
hmm, it would be pretty tough to paint the inside reflective areas without having to remove the front lens, but yeah, def don't need the reflector anymore.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
herb

reading through the "light bar thread" in Van Body and had an idea - I could add simple auxiliary "off road" lights on the bumper (or light bar) that switch on via a relay tied to the wire that would controls the high beams.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
I don't see it as being expensive - only the price of the new housings. A lot of work - you must not have seen my build thread

Look forward to seeing your light setup.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by audisnapr
hmm, it would be pretty tough to paint the inside reflective areas without having to remove the front lens, but yeah, def don't need the reflector anymore.
im not sure how the ford lenses work, but ive done mods like this to my hondas (pretty common around the import crowds). you basically put them in the oven at 250 for 10-20 minutes to soften the glue that holds the lense to the housing. once its soft, you can pry them apart and do as you please to the housing. then reassemble the same way, but add some clear silicone to make sure they are properly sealed.

is it a hassle? yes. however ive seen some really cool lense creations over the years. its little stuff like this that sets your vehicle apart from the others. imho thats hard to do with these vans with so little aftermarket available.

and ya, judging by the other projects you tackle, something like this shouldnt be hard at all. you definitely have the skillset.

look forward to what direction you go.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by audisnapr
Quote:
I don't see it as being expensive - only the price of the new housings. A lot of work - you must not have seen my build thread

Look forward to seeing your light setup.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11054

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
im not sure how the ford lenses work, but ive done mods like this to my hondas (pretty common around the import crowds). you basically put them in the oven at 250 for 10-20 minutes...
yup, the euro guys do it as well. That's one step I was hoping to avoid though. It's often hit or miss. It's something to consider though. Thanks for the support.

Quote:
http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11054
nice, I'll keep an eye out for the pics. Thanks.