Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #11

Garage
My 350 RB is my daily driver. The only time I hate it is when going downtown. Luckily, I also have access to the family Jeep for small-space parking.

My rig drives better as a 4x4, but that's because of the Agile conversion. It's much more stable on the road and I can go anywhere.

But a previous poster is right... If you don't need 4WD for some specific reason, then don't get it. It'll lower your mpg and your wallet at the same time.

Of course, I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. Annie mentioned how nice it is to have your house with you all the time and I concur. No matter where i go, i have all the essentials, including my own private restroom. Can't beat it.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #12

Thanks for all the replies with great advice guys. Ha, they would also make a great place for an afternoon nap. Lol
Brianf7028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #13
Orv

Garage
Agree on the backup camera. My van doesn't have one, and installing one is my project for this weekend. The rear barn doors, cabinet, and spare tire combine to create a blind spot in the center, right where the mirrors don't cover. Backing up without a spotter makes me really nervous. A camera will make in-town parking a lot easier.

I don't have any experience with the 4WD vans, but the 2WD ones, while long, have pretty sharp steering angles and *can* be parallel parked with practice. In my old RB Econoline I generally figured if I had 1.5 standard length spaces I could get it in without any trouble. Angle parking is no problem, and perpendicular parking isn't bad if you back in.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianf7028 View Post
Thanks for all the replies with great advice guys. Ha, they would also make a great place for an afternoon nap. Lol
Mobile nap pod--can't say I haven't taken advantage of that.

I'm not sure if it's because of the 4x4 conversion, but I can't parallel park my rig to save my life. Part of it is that the EB behind the rear wheels throws me off, but I'm always coming into the curb at too sharp an angle and hit with the rear wheels because I can't cut the front hard enough. I've never had that problem once with my FSB, but that's an apples-to-oranges comparison due to the difference in wheelbase.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #15

I parallel park my van pretty often since street parking is pretty much all there is in San Luis Obispo. Definitely doable in standard spots with a RB. The EB's are more difficult due to length of van vs. length of parking spot.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #16

My daily driver is a 2005 Ford E350 V10 extended body passenger van lifted and converted to 4WD, in Cali so that gas pricing alone sucks...I get 9 MPG in town and 13 MPG on the road provided I'm not cruising at high altitude such as in Colorado because that seems to require more fuel. BUT I love it, the ride is just thrilling! It gives me a higher view of traffic conditions, mind you it is also heavier that the tiny sedans so consider extra stopping patterns. People try to cut in from the right side of the van and I really cannot see small cars when they do that so they end up rubbing their vehicles on my tires, never has been a legal problem for me since both times it happen the other driver was cutting in from the shoulder (an illegal merge). I am also in the process of converting it from the previous owner's build and it has been a long project for me because I want to do it better than it was, I have my preferences on materials and layout, I have to pile up money before jumping to next phase, and my build skills are minimal so I research a lot before working on the van. It is much fun though, the build project and using the van itself!
krgracia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #17

Not kidding on those carwash clearances! I use the truck/RV washes (big road rig truck washers) near interstate highways or just get out the 10' ladder and slosh it myself.
krgracia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #18

Sweet, I did not think of the advantages of a big aggressive looking van in heavy traffic.
Brianf7028 is offline   Reply With Quote