Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2022, 08:41 PM   #1

Question Dehumidifier: Moisture Absorbers or Powered?

It is that time of year in the Pacific NW to prepare for the damp air by placing dehumidifier solution within the SMB van.

I have been several hanging DampRid several the van replacing every couple of weeks:
DampRid Fresh Scent Hanging Moisture Absorber

I am considering a small electric Dehumidifier when it is extra damp for a couple of hours. I am concern keeping it in days on end, fire:
MADETEC Dehumidifiers

What are SMB-ers thought for either solutions?

Old 11-05-2022, 09:42 AM   #2

Garage
If you’d prefer something that doesn’t need to be attended too often, select a model that has a sink drain. Assuming you have a sink, it would just drain into your gray water tank. If temps are expected below freezing, I’d also prime the gray tank with a stronger solution of winterizer so as it drains the tank doesn’t freeze.
Lot of commentary out there (especially the marine industry) stating most of the dehumidifiers don’t function well when temps get real low.
I’ve used one of these in the cabin of my boat (and now in my van), and have had no issues with mold or smells developing (I’m hooked up to shore power all the time):
https://www.amazon.com/Caframo-Engin...7662241&sr=8-3

Edit: If we're forecasted for temps well below freezing for several days then i just run the Espar heater on the lowest setting.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:10 PM   #3

If you use a chemical dehumidifier, make sure you empty it before driving. They use mag chloride, and the resulting condensate is very corrosive. When it dumps out because you forgot to empty it, and didn't clean it up because you forgot it was even under the sink in the first place, it does quite a bit of damage. Ask me how I know...

Compressor dehumidifiers work the best, but if the tank overflows, you might have another mess, unless you keep it in the shower.

The passive plug-in ones are really just small heaters, which lowers the relative humidity by raising the temperature. They don't actually remove moisture. But can work well enough in moderate climates. But they also make worse if all the windows condense at night, and don't have external weep holes.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:01 PM   #4

I use to use the chemical dehumidifier and got tired of fussing with it. Now I put a small electric heater with an in-line thermostat set at 40 F in the van. A heavy duty extension cord runs form the garage to the van. Works great.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:53 AM   #5

Larrie posted it, but for instance a Costco heater set at 40deg is probably the best dehumidifier for PNW...You can probably even pick up a smaller wattage variety...If you are picky you could add an electric timer for night only operation, etc...like https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-timer-95205.html
Chemicals are a pain...
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:49 PM   #6

I've been using the Eva-Dry dehumidifiers that contain little silica gel beads that you can reset once a month by plugging into the wall to dry them out. I use them in all my cars that sit over the winter here in the INW and those combined with a charcoal odor remover seem to work pretty well. We have enough humidity here during the winter that my tools in the garage will rust if not attended too and I haven't had any issues with mold or mildew in the vehicles. I use two of the big E500s in the van, two smaller E333s in the Landcruiser, and had used one E333 in the Miata.
Motorwerx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dehumidifier