Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2020, 06:03 AM   #21

Offroading_is_Fun thanks for taking the time to walk me through a sound thought process, that's good stuff. Perhaps it might be best to look fo something that's a better platform instead of spending more than the cost of another vehicle on the one I have.

I've been thinking about what you said.

[QUOTE]but when loaded and pushing north of 80 indicated (Probably closer to 90, there's a whole lot of 'nothing' /QUOTE]

This could possibly be due to the torque curve of the 5.4 which is basically a stroked 4.6 (they have the same bore size) making it a very oversquare engine. That is great for low end torque but when the transmission kicks down you could be way off the torque curve. I noticed that the 5.4 (at least on the 2014 E150) has peak torque @ 2500 rpm while the 4.6 peaks @ 3500 rpm. At 3500-4500 rpm the 5.4 may not have any more torque than a 4.6 (would love to see a torque curve overlay of the two engines). Since torque is what accelerates a vehicle the answer may not be a bigger engine in your case but maybe some uncorking and tuning to allow that torque curve to continue a little further up the rpm range. Also a lifted high top van is going to be pushing a lot of air at those speeds. A long stroke engine with a falling torque curve pushing that much air is not gonna be a top speed highway cruiser regardless.

Vanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:11 PM   #22

Heya Vanguy...

Read most of your post from the initial post it sounds like
My goals are similar to yours.
I picked up a 03 7.3 diesel extended cab cargo used to be a "Maytag service vehicle" so I'm hoping it was well looked after fleet van?!
You never know what company cars will deliver you're either golden or you're fu**ed... Depending upon who drove it...lol ��

Here's my thoughts from my purpose I don't have a lot of extra money I try to maximize what I have with what I can do without enveloping all my spare time or I have too many projects motorcycles cars trucks set Aurora to probably not unlike many here.
My intentions were to never have a 4x4... I have dirt bikes and quads for that...all I need help getting them where I need and for what I do let's be honest I work too much I don't have a lot of time in suit me just fine I will put a rear locker in it for sure...no doubt. if I push the limit I'm sure I will get stuck I will just have to make sure I have the equipment or resources to get my ass out....no different than a van or a 2 wheel drive truck I've been stuck a million times always have got out.
As far as interior space goes your plan or goal sounds similar to mine as well I want to keep it as a cargo my goal and thoughts are to have a easily convertible I will probably have a foam mattress in a slightly raised Deck with drawers with shelves or totes that I can just pull out when I want to load stuff I want to make it so I can go from cargo work van to adventure weekender in an hour or less I have a pretty good idea what I want to do
I totally appreciate the four by fours and the sportsmobiles and the full-on adventure vans however I bought this van for $2500 with 180 k on it... I feel it was a good deal as the 7.3 has the potential for lasting almost forever...if cared for. I talked to a few people that have well over 400k and one has 900k... I find that astounding.
I think there is too much emphasis and competitive dick swinging when it comes to a lot of these rigs that makes us lose sight of what we need.
When I grew up my parents had a 69 GMC 6 cylinder pickup we towed a trailer all over the country then we had a 70 Ford 2wd f250 with a camper... We went everywhere in that machine Mexico, Pismo Beach..... It was two wheel drive we had the time of our lives I still remember these 40 years later. find Andy if what if people want to drop $100,000 but man I could buy a 35'-foot low mileage Diesel Pusher Winnebago for 1/4 the price some folksbuild some of these adventure van rigs....don't get me wrong they're impressive and people can do whatever the hell they want but that's just not my thing I work too hard for my money I'm fine with this van and like you I'm going to have a portable shower I have a roof rack I bought on Craigslist for $300 a bunch of PreRunner light supports I'm going to weld on I'm just going to put a quick attachment for a shower curtain and a water hookup simple easy peasy No frills..... For me that's just where my boundaries are that's all the van is to get my dirt bikes to the desert or off the beaten path on fire roads or good trails the dirt bikes are for the four by four and luxury if "ever needed " would be a motorhome... But that is not likely to happen.
Getting back to you and your project.
As far as project ( keep it simple) I would do a locker/ limited slip.. do it easily convertible interior and roll with it! Your motor makes plenty of power for what you would need it for... If our 1969 slant 6 GMC pickup or Ford 390 traveled the country that 4.6 will do just fine.
People of lost sight all the youngsters I talked to think they have to have a $60,000 diesel 4x 4 pickup truck with a 30k toy hauler... to tow their toys places... I don't get it... I went to a couple adventure van shows and it's the same s*** yeah it's cool and a lot of nice rigs but a f****** hundred and $150,000 sprinter van... no thanks.
I call my van (project low buck)....
Low mileage 7.3 diesel for $2400.
Got a full-length 12 + foot roof rack for a $100.00 on Craigslist.
I'm doing an aluminum 2.5" in (body lift) so I can actually work on the diesel motor and get the valve covers off if ever needed.... At a cost of $200. combining that with the Moog spring and blocks for another 2" in. And I'm going to have enough clearance for 33s all terrains or mud terrains.... Which I'm cheap I'm buying from (Treadwright tires) for $125 each.
For a 2 wheel drive van some people will give me s*** about a body lift vs a Weldtec setup... but it's the same people who are too young to remember that everybody had them back in the day. I've got friends & family members that still have them on their cars 30 40 years later the paint of prerunner it's just a box w wheels to get my toys out and get me away from s***
Nothing against the Weld Tech it's just expensive 3k vs $400.00.... and I bet $100 I'll get just as far on the trails that I need to get on down. I have no fears whatsoever about that.. it's no 4x 4 , it's no $$$ prerunner and certainly no rock crawler...lol. she's just going to tow those where I need him... lol ��
Best of luck with your project keep us posted of your progress whichever direction you go I love watching what you guys do with your Vans mild or wild Low buck or Big buck it's entertaining as hell
This old va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:11 PM   #23

Thanks man
Vanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:57 PM   #24

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 2007 or newer E150, since they are all 8500+ GVWR with corresponding 8-lug axles, along with the same brakes. Springs are easy to upgrade, up to the limits to of the axles (5,000 pounds front / 5520 rear). The frame is even the same as the E250. It doesn't get a bump in thickness until moving up to the E350.

The 4.6L might be over-taxed however, depending on your final build and if you tow.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:07 PM   #25

OX cable locker in the rear diff, General Grabber A/Ts and call it a day
Jorje Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorje Pablo View Post
OX cable locker in the rear diff, General Grabber A/Ts and call it a day
That's what I'm talking about about ..lol
You'll have just as much fun....unless your a hardcore offroader....even then 90% of vans ain't hardcore.
Enjoy it 4 what she is
This old va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:17 PM   #27

I run a fully fitted E150 with the 3.73 LSD from the factory.

It scaled wet which means a full tank of gas, 22 gallons of water 2 gallons toilet flush tank and 4 gallons of diesel for the heater, weighed in at 7340lbs. Stock suspension with no sag, Michelin tires, and an average from Eastern Ontario, Canada over Cottonwood Pass, Independence Pass, and the Eisenhower Tunnel without missing a beat. I cruise between 60 -70 mph less up steep hills, but it is a van, not a Mustang, it gets 17 mpg average over the last 20000 miles.

I would not do a 4x4 kit due to driveline losses, but as previously mentioned the 07 and newer are basically E250 frame, brakes, and hubs.

I know where I intend to use the van, highways, backroads and some unmade, nothing extreme, therefore it works. It is easy to get carried away and then wonder why.
asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #28

Mine's an '09 E150 passenger with the 4.6, stock 4.10 rear end. Weighs in at about 6500 lbs. without my family and travelling stuff in it. Also, run a 4" Weldtec kit and 275 AT's for the toughest mall crawls.

Love the van for my daily driver/family wagon duties. Once had aspirations to make it a camper until I realized that it wasn't really my family's thing. We've done plenty of highway miles road tripping. Lots of open highway miles. Feels good cruising 60-70, north of that or in a gnarly headwind it feels like the van is working real hard. We once towed a ~4500 lb. travel trailer with it round trip to Texas as well before I knew any better. Slow and steady for sure.

Functionality is in the eye of the beholder
Old 06-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #29

I don't have online photo sharing because it's an extra hassle i don't need but i have a photo of Chrtis Ridgway and his E250 with TTB Dana 50 conversion.
Perhaps you can search him on FB and go through the trouble of friending him and then getting some pics but if you carer to PM me we can share some pics of his van OR you can search for me 'Jorje Pablo' on FB, there are a few people with same name but my profile picis kinda scary and hard to miss, i am not a pleasant looking individual and rather intimidating to some

My FB profile shows my ex miitary US Army status and has a picture of my Quigley..

Perhaps someone else here can direct you to him easier than i can.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #30

I just contacted Chris and he is in the hospital with a broken femur so corresponding with him is out of the question at the moment..